Lilac chihuahua owners/ breeding

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by GizmoMogwai01, Feb 7, 2018.

1. GizmoMogwai01

GizmoMogwai01 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, any owners/ breeders of chocolate/blue/lilac chihuahuas here?i have a chocolate boy 2 in March and a lilac female 1 tomorrow. Breeding advice or general chat x

2. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums Senior

I believe @Freyja breeds Chihuahuas and would have lots of info.

In general you'd want your female you be at least 2 years old and both parents to be health tested.

I'm not sure that lilac is acceptable colour so showing your dog might be out of the question.

3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I replied for the persons other post they do actually mate chihuahuas earlier as they recomend mating before the pelvis sets I mated my girl at 2 1/2 and was told it was too late foor a first litter as she may have problems I was lucky she self whelped but I would wait until she was at least 18 months old.

I did know someone who showed a bitch that I would consider to be lilac but she was possibly registered as a different colour as this is the list of accepted colours and lilac is not included so your bitch would be registered as not recognised

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/colours.aspx?id=6151

There are no required health tests for smooth chihuahuas

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/health.aspx?id=6151

4. SpicyBulldog

Sorry I didn't know about you replying to other post.

I never knew that about the pelvis and breeding earlier, good to know.

If a dog is reg as the wrong color and enter in show then wouldn't judge still go by how the dog looks?

I think in American Chis they are known to have luxating Patella, there is only clinical exam for it.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Some breeders in the UK will test for LP as it's very important for them to have their animals graded, as in other toy breeds, with the attempt to banish it from lines. Unfortunately in my opinion not enough...I think I am aware of 4 breeders although I could be wrong...and this is in looking as chihuahuas as a 'whole breed's so both long coat and smooth.
    Think it's more common in Europe...however do not quote me for definite on that it's only what I have 'heard' with very little show knowledge I could be talking rubbish and got the wrong end of the stick.

Edit to add I think as well as manipulation they also take X rays...but I could be wrong again another misunderstanding lost in translation.

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I don't judge so I don't really know how a judge would look at it. It is a fault and if there were 2 dogs of equal quality 1 lilac and the other a recognised colour the reconised colour should win.

There are no required health tests in chihuahuas but breeders can test and record result for anything they may think necessary eg in my other breed whippets there are also no healtth tests but a lot of breeders are testing eyes and hearts. They are not required its just something breeders feel they should do.

7. SpicyBulldog

Oh ok here in states I guess there were no required health tests for any breeds. People test for what might be commonly seen if they wish to.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Surely if it is not a recognised colour it should not be registered therefore would not be shown. Be a bit odd to register a colour that is not allowed.

lullabydream and ouesi like this.
  9. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

My thoughts too. An unrecognized colour wouldn't be shown in the first place unless Freyja is talking about fun shows in which case colour is of no importance.

lullabydream, ouesi and Blitz like this.