Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lightweight Travel Crate needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lemonie68, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Lemonie68

Lemonie68 PetForums Junior

We are (up to now) going on holiday at the beginning of June to Scotland. We are going to an island with no vehicle access and a small ferry boat over so everything needs to be condensed a bit from normal where we would just take our normal crates. Our cottage is dog friendly but they are not allowed on the furniture which used to be a rule in our house as well :rolleyes: I want to be able to leave them safe if we pop over to the next island for a meal of go out for a few hours without them, also at night.

Our current crates are bulky and heavy so I am looking for an alternative. I've been looking at pop up crates on ebay but they seem rubbish. They won't try to escape so doesn't need to be secure. Any ideas?

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I think you'll have to compromise on one of bulk or weight - not sure how you'll find both things together. Metal folding crates are less bulky when folded, but heavy because metal. Plastic crates are more lightweight, but they're more bulky as a result. Fabric crates fold and are less heavy than metal, but zips aren't particularly secure, even for dogs who usually wouldn't try and get out.

As a side point, you should check your holiday rental's pet policy as most state that dogs can't be left unattended while the people go out.

neverforgotten2020 and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice