Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lighting

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by magpie, Jun 3, 2017.

1. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Thinking about changing the lighting in my big tank, it currently has a hood with four T8 fluorescent bulbs, but I seem to keep having problems with them. I think the fittings are a bit dodgy(!), as it was a pretty cheap tank to begin with, at the moment only one of the four bulbs is actually working and I'm getting fed up of constantly replacing them.

The other minor annoyance I have with the current lighting is that it doesn't seem to be very effective, I feel like the tank seems a bit dull and dark, though it is quite deep at 21 inches.

So I was considering getting rid of the hood completely and getting one of those LED bars that sits on the rim of the aquarium, like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...1-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop&th=1

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of lighting or any other suggestions for me? Will LED lighting be any brighter?

2. speedy21

speedy21 PetForums Newbie

Ive not personally is the lighting units built in to the hood or are they seperat units if there seprate try replacing them and dont put all white light bulbs try mixing the bubs that pick out diffrent colers and a night bulb a bue one I uesd to ues triton tubes as they also good for marine tans as well

3. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

The current lighting unit is fixed into the hood and cannot be removed, but the hood itself is not fixed to the tank so I could in theory get rid of the entire hood. Which is why I was looking at the kind of lighting in the link above.

I changed all the bulbs maybe a year or so ago, one stopped working almost immediately, the second a few months later and the third has just gone more recently so it's looking quite dim in there at the moment. The hood is REALLY heavy so it's a nightmare to change bulbs!

4. speedy21

speedy21 PetForums Newbie

You can get replacement hoods but you would have to replace the light controller all tho the hoodles look looks good you can lose more water due to evaparating have you tried moving the tubs around to seevif the work in difrent postions and see if they start to work or brighten up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice