Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Light Pollution: Are you a culprit?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ava, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ava

ava PetForums VIP

Before you go to bed, do you switch on your outdoor lights ?If the answer is "yes", you may want to rethink your lighting strategy. Excess light is causing light pollution, a serious problem compromising our view of the universe, interfering with astronomical observations, as well as wasting billions of dollars a year, among other adverse effects.:blushing:

Take this quiz and find out.

1. Do you light only what needs lighting? Or do you have outside lights all over your yard that go on automatically every night?
    Tonight, take a look outside and ask yourself “do I really need all of those lights on out there?” You may find out that you are a culprit.
    2. Do your outside lights stay on all night?
    If you’ve decided that the lights are necessary, is it necessary to have them on from dusk to dawn?
    3. Do you think the “more light the better?”
    Think again. Average 60 watt lighting is probably all that you need to find your way
    to your front door. You are not performing brain surgery or anything that requires bright intense lighting. The idea that “more is better” doesn’t apply to lighting.

4. Do you own or know what cutoff light fixtures are?
    Full cutoff fixtures shine the light down rather than up. This avoids excess light shinning into the sky, where it’s not usually needed. Cutoff lights also help keep the lights on your property, rather than shinning into your neighbor’s yard.

Do you really take care about all this issues?

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't have any outside lights and don't see the point of having any :eek:ut:

3. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Nope, don't have an outside light. I do however have a neighbour who has theirs on constantly (one of those motion sensor type) which is very useful when lettting the dog out in the dark. Uses their electric not mine!

Not too sure of the point of switing it on before going to bed??

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

If I go out with the dogs at night I use a torch :thumbup:

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I don't have any outside lights. My front door is on the street, even though the nearest street light is so far away you can't see where to put your key in the dark!

We are supposed to be getting one light fitted out the back so when it starts getting dark earlyier again we will be able to see the dogs when they are outside, but I will only be having it on while they are out.

Someone on my street leaves their outisde light on and it is really annoying.
    And before we moved our neighbours round the corner had a really bright outside light that practically lit our whole bedroom!

x

6. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

We have one because the 4 houses here are behind walls so the street lightening doesn't do much. It's never on unless we are out and know it will be dark when we get home or when mum is checking the hedgehog is here. The house across from us used to have one of those sensor lights then he eventually put it on so as soon as it was dark it was on all night. It was so bight we didn't need any lighting on in the hall!! Not vert pleasent when getting up at 3 in the morning to get a drink. When driving home in the dark the side of our house was lit right up. Don't have a clue what strength the bulb was but it would have lit up a football pitch. Mum complained then they fell out with us :rolleyes:

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I live behind a football pitch (imagine the floodlights!) now THAT is annoying PMSL :001_tt2:

8. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I never used to have one but had a motion sensor light fitted in the back when I got Pippa. I'm quite isolated where I live so it doesn't bother anyone :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice