Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

lifeguard dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dodigna, Jul 29, 2009.

1. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

hi, I am in Sardinia at the moment with ray and he has revealed himself a keen sea swimmer, but not only! He seems really concerned with people at sea.

As soon as someone enters the waters he gets his head out of his makeshift den and follows their every move! When children are out far and screams for fun he gets up and stares at them with a low yelping checking them all the time... when swimmers approach he in fact enters the water and swims towards them and follow them out wagging his tail... a problem as dogs should not be on beaches over here so we try to discourage.

Yesterday we met a labrador life guard and the owner showed how he brings people back, so I shorten the lenght of the leash on ray's car harness which is quite thick and tried to get him to swim out with me, around 15 mtr from shore I grabbed the leash turned on my back and asked him "take me back".. within a few seconds I was at shore!

Are there any lifeguard training schools to nourish his innate skills? I was told dogs have to be over 30kg to comply and ray is only 23... he is 1/2 lab and staffy mix... anybody heard of different roles he could be useful, like a beach watch dog or something?

I live in London which could be a problem to reach the coast, but could try weekend training.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice