UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm new here and have found this forum very informative and useful....even learning of the zooplus website which has increased my cat related spends this month!! :)....everyone on the forum seems friendly & helpful...

I just wanted to share my story of my cat Miss Meg 3 Leg...5 yrs ago we ideally wanted a house cat due to local road and were willing to take on golden oldies, health problems etc...

My local RSPCA rehoming centre had many cats but none suitable at the time and we asked the re-homer to keep in touch with new arrivals..we were just about to leave and she said they had a new admission in the hospital part but we may not be interested in but I knew I had to look!..and that's where we met a petrified 1 yr old who was 2 days post-op after having a front leg & shoulder amputated after being found with a gunshot wound :(

Over the 3 wks we visited regulary watching every bit of her recovery including the constant crying and refusal to try to walk when she was put in the floor :( :(

After 3 wks we brought her home still half shaved and on supposed 1 level rest..she promptly jumped out the carrier, up the stairs and onto a windowsill!...

That was 4 yrs ago and she is amazing...nothing stops her! climbing up backs of sofas, chasing anything and learning to rotate remaining front paw to clean both sides of her face!..aahhh :)

Sorry this has turned into such a ramble but hope it can help others' cats if facing a similar predicement!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
That's so nice to meet Miss Meg 3 Leg! I've seen her name in the Poll (and voted for her) but haven't seen her around the PF.

And I agree with CCC: more pictures!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank u for all your kind comments!...
Some more piccies!..apologies if they are the wrong way round I'm just getting the hang of posting from my phone!...Meg turned round the right way would be great!...

outside pic is part of Meg's catproof garden!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I fostered a tripod kitty for three years (she was an old girl with renal failure). She had her front leg missing too. It may sound odd but I think she only had her front left leg and can't remember for sure as she always centred it, also, in a funny way, I often forgot she only had three legs (in that I didn't think of her as having a disability) :eek:. At the rehoming centre I also fell in love with a little girl with a missing back leg but wasn't in a position to take her but she found a great home so it wasn't so bad.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Honeyfern

We too mainly forget she's only got 3 legs!...now & then it's as if I've suddenly remembered!!

We still get the digging of litter with "phantom leg"... looks like she's doing press-ups! :D and the occasional swipe with "the leg"....mostly instinct things she'll do with it!....

G

·
Wonderful to meet you. Indoor only rescue cats post often has 3 legged cats. For some reason, rescues in England are horrifued by indoor or indoor enclosure cats, opposite to Oz and the US, I believe. So most disabled/chronically ill cats go in that category, with the charities.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.