Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

life after amputation

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kenneth Cocks, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Kenneth Cocks

Kenneth Cocks PetForums Newbie

hi there, our cat has just had his rear left leg amputated due to cancer. So far he is improving healthwise and venturing out of his bed to take a few unsteady steps on three legs. My question is, how do I stop him from licking around the wound? He is doing it so much I am worried that he is going to make a hole in his flesh! we tried using the Elizabethan collar, but it caused more problems than it cured. At the moment he has a plaster over where he was licking, but he still licks. Any ideas anyone? I'm becoming desperate.
    Ken

2. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

How thick/impermeable is the bandage? If it's reasonably safe then you could try putting something like a dab of chilli powder on the bandage as long as youre sure it won't get into the wound. A lick or two of that and it should stop! :)

3. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about the amputation, hope he gets used to his new body, they adapt well, better than us I think. Not had an amputation but have had a cat lose an eye to cancer and my present boy lost his eye through a scratch, he has coped remarkably well, I know it isn't the same as losing a leg but just wanted to show a bit of encouragement and to say they adapt to all sorts of problems, good luck with the licking the wound:)

4. MissyMV6

MissyMV6 PetForums Senior

My boy Smedley had his front leg amputated at the age of 18 he did really really well and enjoyed life to the full his remaining leg became very muscular. Sadly I lost him 2 years later to kidney failure.
    Regarding licking the wound Smedley had to wear one of those collars which he hated but we had to keep it on him to stop him licking it.Sorry I cannot give you any advice on what you could use apart from a collar.

Angie xx

5. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

What problems did you have with the collar? Maybe somebody could offer advice on specific problems in that area?

6. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

If he really hates the collar you could try one of these Jackets.

Dermapetwear

You'd just need to pin up the extra rear leg but it would be less restrictive and he wouldn't be able to lick the wound as easily....

x

7. MissyMV6

MissyMV6 PetForums Senior

That is so cute,what an excellent idea:D

Angie x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice