Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Licking

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jackie C, May 18, 2019 at 10:14 AM.

?

Does you cat like licking you?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Holly likes to attract our attention when we're in bed asleep, and is finding new ways of doing it. She used to just sit next to us and purr. Then it evolved onto sitting on us and purring or kneading.
    Now it's evolved to licking. Thankfully, not faces, but hands and arms. And it seems to almost border on obsessive, and it's certainly vigorous. I tend to ignore her, and she does stop after a minute, then she moves onto the OH. She seems to like the taste of him more than me, maybe because he gives in and gives her attention, but she just can't get enough of washing him. She will seek him out in the house, sit on his knee, and wash him! She's certainly daddies girl, and has been since last year when he was ill, and she never left him alone. I'm low down in the pecking order as far as she's concerned.

Does anyone else's pest do this? And does anyone know why she does this (apart from to get attention)?

2. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

The only times Brooke has licked me is when she has been grooming herself and she just carries on to my hand or leg.
    She has got into the habit of gentle head butts in my face early in the morning when she wants some fuss - cold wet nose in your face is a bit icky so I quickly obey!

Jackie C likes this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

The only one I had to do the licking thing was my Tortie Puss she used to start licking finger tips and then start to nibble the finger nails ,slowly moving them from her front teeth to the back............at that point if you had any sense you removed your fingers
    No idea why she did it but it must have been "in her mind" a sign of friendship as she didn't have a nasty bone in her body:)

The only time Meeko licks skin is to clean it before he bites it ;)

#3 buffie, May 18, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    Ali71, chillminx and Jackie C like this.
  4. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Saffy does but normally only when she’s cleaning herself! I get a wash too!

chillminx and Jackie C like this.
  5. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Bertie nearly always "washes" me to get me up in the morning - my hair seems to be favourite:eek: I have to resort to pulling the bedclothes over my head if I want a bit of a lie in ! He also likes to sit on my lap and give himself the once over and whilst doing so will include any part of me (hands, arms) that is available.

As to why, I think our skins give off a small amount of salt in our perspiration and I know that they seem to like the taste of body lotion especially if it contains lanolin.

Ali71, AshJack, chillminx and 2 others like this.
  6. AmsMam

AmsMam belongs to the crazy cat

If I pick Ams up for a cuddle she will often reach out to lick a strand of my hair. She seems to forget that it's three times the length of hers and looks quite confused/offended that it takes more effort. OH's hair is a much more acceptable length and she will give him a proper grooming if she gets the chance.

Ali71 and AshJack like this.
  7. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

Freya and Teddy would lick me till I had no skin on my face if I let them. They will also do arms, hands, and anywhere else. Bearing in mind they could have just been washing their nethers, I always say thank you darling that's a lovely offer, but how about a cuddle instead?

Freya once woke me up licking a hand that had antihistamine cream on a huge double mozzy bite. She started guggling and foaming at the mouth to my horror. Grabbed phone and rang the vet screaming hysterically I had poisoned her, but by then a stream of what looked like water was pouring from her mouth, like a self induced wash. Five minutes later she was fine and demanding breakfast - vet said just monitor her. Didn't stop the licking but made me shut my bedroom door if I ever had to apply medical cream again!!

Jackie C and AshJack like this.
  8. AshJack

AshJack PetForums Junior

When I got them Dolly and Molly would lick my arms and hands.

Molly now.. will lick my shoulders, face, arms, hand and hair - anything she can get her little self into and she kneads me at the same time. If I lay down I know I’m going to hear a pattern of paws ready to climb onto me:) I’ve tried to gently discourage my face. I see it as a sign of affection as she only does it when she’s relaxed.

Dolly now will stick her face into my neck and start purring, she’ll lick my face if I stop stroking her. Otherwise she’s likely to just knead me for a few mins, I believe.. to arrange me to her liking for her to nap on:) she’ll lick or nuzzle my hands hello.:)

I don’t tend to worry about it and just think I’ve got the most weirdly affectionate cats ever...!!:Cat

AmsMam and Jackie C like this.
  9. Raggie08

Raggie08 PetForums Member

My youngest cat does, the older two not so much x

10. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

Milo licks me quite often. She even licks me after she bites me.

11. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat PetForums Senior

Comedy typo! :Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious

MilleD, Summercat, Emmasian and 2 others like this.
  12. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

Neither of mine are lickers but we’ve had a few at the rescue who lick. It’s so sweet.

13. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Member

Lola will tap my hand in the mornings to wake me, if I take no notice she sits on me, she does lick me sometimes & gives love bites, I love her to bits!!

14. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat PetForums Senior

Barney likes to lick my arm and my wifes feet for some reason. I also get an occasional nibble when he is rubbing his face against me - sometimes it really bloody hurts!

15. Amberzum

Amberzum PetForums Junior

Zelda likes giving me a good wash, she especially likes soft bits, like ankles and the inside of wrists. She's a love biter as well and will give me a bit of a chomp as she grooms.

Buster couldn't care less about licking my skin, (unless I smell like food) but he likes playing hairdressers. I sleep with my hair tied up and he wakes me up by gently pulling chunks of it out of the bobble to groom :confused::D

16. AmsMam

AmsMam belongs to the crazy cat

Ams also loves to catch me with my hair spread out (e.g. if I have a lie down). She'll stand on my hair, knead it and then stick her nose in my ear and make licking/purring noises close up. I find the sounds slightly terrifying (even though I know it's her) but I can't get away because she's standing on my hair. Pest is about right, love her though. ;)

Emmasian likes this.
  17. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

A purposeful typo. She has several nice-names, and one of them is "pest". :p:Smuggrin

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  18. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

I might get the occasional "tongue blep" but they don't seek me out to do so...usually if I'm giving them a bit of a fuss or they are giving me the feed me glare.

19. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I wonder if female cats licks more than males? Mine likes to groom me

Jackie C likes this.
  20. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

Jiggs will lick your ear sometimes when you pick him up for a cuddle.

Willow_Warren likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice