UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 3 year old lab X Spinger, who has over the past year taking to licking us at every given opportunity!! It is driving me mad!!

As a pup he was never an affectionate dog, and was too hyper for cuddles and affection. But now, although still VERY hyper, he does enjoy cuddles but the licking is just too much.

He would sit and lick you all day if you let him, any exposed skin he would happily sit there and lick away. He will come up and sit beside you with his face in yours, and go in for a lick. If you are just petting him while he lying at peace, he will try to lick your hand.

We try and correct his actions, by telling him a firm 'no' and moving him away from us... this however then creates what we call the 'stealth lick', which is when he clearly knows he is going to get in trouble for it but waits until you least expect it and puts in a sly one.

Does anyone have any advice on firstly what could be causing this licking obsession and secondly how we are best to discourage it, please?

thanks

·
Registered
815 Posts
Dogs lick as a way of communicating. He is being friendly and thats his way of telling you.

It can be very annoying but hes not actually doing anything wrong so its difficult to correct.

I would say a firm no, then put him out room for 20-30 seconds then let re enter.

Also if he starts licking you can put something else in his mouth such as a toy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bless him as he really is just so full of love for us, i just wish he would show it by stopping the licking!

We will continue with the no and removal, hopefully he will get the message or perhaps we just have to get used to our daily baths :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
What about turning it on its head, and teaching a command to lick? Maybe if he has a word for it (and an outlet you deem acceptable) then he'll calm down a bit?

Every time he licks you, give him the command you want, and good boy. In my house its "kisses", and then when I've had enough, I use "enough" and to start with, stand up and walk away, throwing a treat back to the dog. (Then I just throw the treat while still sat, then with time, no treat just good boy)

I still have one who will sneak up and lick an elbow or the back of your leg (?!) from time to time but generally is pretty good unless you give the command and then its all out war until you plead mercy with the enough command :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like this! and you have got me thinking about how we have maybe created this..... our dog has always been a 'mouthy' dog. He really never out grew the mouthing stage as a puppy and when you pet him would use it as an excuse to get your arm in his mouth. We had to work really hard with him to get him to stop it, and part of that was to tell him no and ask for 'kisses' which would mean he had to stop mouthing and lick you.

i can't believe it has just dawned on me that he has replaced one undesirable behaviour with one we have created but do not desire on the scale given!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It may be the licking is a symptom of something else, he is a cross of 2 gun dogs, they are orally fixated as they have been bred for generations to use their mouths.

It may be possible he is using it as a stress relief/self sooth/act of appeasement, when he is told off for doing it, he feels the need to do it more.

I would leave him alone when he is laid at peace, I would also look at his life in general and see if any adjustments could be made.

I would supply him with a kong with something licky suchs as some smeared cream cheese, so he can indulge his desire to lick.

Have you had him vet checked for under lying medical issues.

·
Registered
271 Posts
One of my little guys likes to “kiss” me; his nose to my lips does this twice then settles down for a cuddle. He has always done this even when I picked him up from the breeder at 10 weeks old in fact it was one of those endearing things I loved about him straight away :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.