Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Licking

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bethj, Apr 27, 2012.

1. bethj

bethj PetForums Member

Hi, a bit of a random question
    My Male dog will sit and lick my hand all day if i let him, i know its a loving thing but it can get a bit ennoying :glare:
    should i stop it and how?

P.S I have had to type this post with one hand as he follows it aroud the keyboard otherwise:001_smile:

2. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I just tell mine "enough" and move my hand away. I'm not a fan of being licked, don't mind the odd one or two but Spen will happily sit there for ages just licking and licking and licking.

3. Galadriel17

Galadriel17 PetForums VIP

Sounds a bit obsessive to me.

Does he get enough stimulation? Is he anxious? Have you tried giving him something else to occupy him like a stuffed kong?

4. bethj

bethj PetForums Member

He has stopped now..................... he is a sleep:001_rolleyes:
    No he's not got a kong yet. He only does it if he is sat next to you and if your already touching or stroking him he doesn't do it, so i guess he is attention seeking but he gets lots of attention on his walks, playtime and grooming everyday
    anxious? like what?

5. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

One of my dogs likes to lick my hubbys feet !!!!!!! not sure who is more odd,, hubby or dog !!!!!! dog is not bored or any other things that has been mentioned!!!! just a strange thing between hubby and dog,,:D:D:D

6. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My dog will sometimes jump on my lap and want to lick me. Then my puppy will climb along the back of the sofa, go from my head to my shoulder and try to lick my face at the same time. It is difficult fending them both off when they decide to do it!

7. Galadriel17

Galadriel17 PetForums VIP

Oh ok, from you OP, I got the impression he was doing it ALL the time.

By anxious I mean does he display any body language that would indicate he's unsure or nervous, not confident etc.

8. bethj

bethj PetForums Member

sorry i just ment he does it alot. hes not anxious or anything he will just lay next to me and lick me.

Ok i realise now that alot of other dogs do it too i will just keep telling him no when it gets too much;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice