Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Licking habit

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Hala, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Hala

Hala PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone! My little min pin is 2 years old and is always licking me and my other family members specially in the morning. Even when I tell her not to she persist! I know she wants to show me her love but it can get anoying at times.

2. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Your dog doesn't understand when you tell her not to lick you. She licks because she's pleased to see you or has been allowed to lick you for so long that it has become a habit or she's neurotic or bored.

If you don't want her to lick you, don't make yourselves available for licking. Take her for more walks, play with her, train her, give her stuffed Kongs to lick and in time she'll not want to lick you so much.

3. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I agree. If you want to stop her licking you, you need to give her something else to do.

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Licking is an appeasement behaviour. We have a very licky dacshund , my husband is her chief victim. When she starts licking my face (Ugh ) I move her head down so she's lying next to me and say gently 'no licking'. She rarely licks me now only when excited until I stop her. Hubby's still fair game though but he treadts it as more of a game.
    Just be gentle , firm and consistent , give her stuff she can lick such as filled Kongs, chews, toys.

5. paulareno

paulareno PetForums Member

its not as easy as it sounds we have 5mth old puppy and she is a big licker - very annoying !! she gets all the treats, kong and all that - and ends up going for your hands and whatever body part is near her, disgusting really. :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice