Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lickimat/Snack on way to walk

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kakite, Aug 1, 2020 at 10:25 AM.

1. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

Hi everyone

Nova is getting overly excited in the car when I walk her in the evening three times a week. A lickimat or Kong normally calms her down but I’m not sure if that’s ok before a walk (in terms of bloat). It would be something like 1/2 banana smooshed up with a dab of peanut butter or something like that. Nothing heavy, but would that be really bad just before a off lead walk?

Thank you.

PS: it’s mainly to stop her from whining in the car and it is definitely excitement not being anxious. I want to be able to concentrate when I’m driving, especially at that time we have a bit of traffic.

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I'm personally more cautious about when and what I feed after heavy exercise, rather than before. A walk, even one with a lot of running around, I wouldn't class as heavy exercise to worry about unless your individual dog is in the super high risk category though. I mean, I and many other people feed during walks given training with edibles!

For you and what I know of what you do with Nova, I'd take care if I was taking her somewhere there'd be an extended amount of swimming. A quick dip is fine, but if there's being a lot for a longer period of time that can be very exertive (why a long swim isn't appropriate when it's hot). Just to the point of ensuring that you don't have the swim as the first thing you do out of the car though, and do other stuff first as a warmup.

For the most part though, food and exercise is shades of grey, rather than the firm black and white thing sometimes touted.

3. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. We don’t do any swimming at the minute, but will keep it in mind :) I always keep swimming or water activities to short stints, otherwise it’s too much for Nova and she gets overtired and acts like a maniac.

Boxer123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice