Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

LICK OVERLOADDDD!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Olivia Jinks, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Olivia Jinks

Olivia Jinks PetForums Newbie

Hey there guys,

I have a springer spaniel and he does not stop licking me!!!! It can be over clothes or on my bare skin like my hands or arms or feet or he'll lick my socks or jumper etc.. why is this? Im assuming he's grooming me or it's his way or showing his love? i have read information that he might like the taste of the salt on your skin but that doesnt explain why he licks clothes?

any one have any ideas?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Licking can become an obsessive behaviour.

The simple answer is, don't allow him to do it.

My Jack Russell would behave that way, given the chance. I allow her to give me a couple of quick licks, then she's told "that's enough, good girl" and she knows that means she has to stop.

You need to put down some rules now or it could become a big problem for you.

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I agree with @Rafa. One of my dogs is incredibly licky and has been that way since he was a tiny pup, but he's learnt it's not allowed. He'll often 'air lick' instead when he's particularly excited. I allow him a few licks but he's learnt 'no licking' as well as the other 'ugh'-type noises I make when he's licking me means he has to stop!

He'll lick anyone, it's just his response to being happy and excited.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

My Son calls it "creepy licking". :D

DogLover1981 and Olivia Jinks like this.
  5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

:Hilarious

It's so gross! He's pretty good these days but he will sometimes catch me off guard and lick me as much as possible until I can fend him off! :Shifty

The interesting thing is that McKenzie will occasionally give me a little lick now, which she had NEVER done before I got Elliot.

DogLover1981 likes this.
  6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Reena is very licky but knows 'enough' ! She is very fond of licking OH and really makes a meal of his face with gentle nibbles of his chin and ears - he seems to like it ! I tell him she's brushing her teeth on his stubble.
    I'm not a fan, personally, and stop her. For her I think it's happy affection.
    She also licks hands when they are doing things to her that she doesn't like such as combing out knots or trying to file her claws.

DogLover1981 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice