Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

licenses and spiders/

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by ribena1989, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ribena1989

ribena1989 PetForums Newbie

do you need a license to own a tarantula? and is there any particular type?

im really like the pink zebra beauty or a chille rose.

please help ^^

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

hi no you dont need a licence to own a spider but not sure if you need one to breed and sell on them. Chille rose is generally a good starter spider although some can be not that friendly. What draws you to spiders.? I would suggest getting a book from amazon and reading up on some of the breeds.And there requirements and see if any catch your eye. There are a few but some dont make good pets. If you are after a more hands on pet and like reptiles have you thought of a leopard gecko they can become very tame and have a character.Still need speacail care but are fairly easy to keep once you have heat set up and food sorted. do as much research as poss with spiders its the sheadding, and moisture etc to consider etc. goodluck.

3. ribena1989

ribena1989 PetForums Newbie

i think they're very pretty and love the way they move and hunt, i think its fascinating :)

im going on amazon to look for a book now :D thankyou v much xxx :D

#3 ribena1989, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Thats what drew me to my leopard gecko they stalk there prey like a cat and even the end of her tail use to go. I use to find it amusing. Im sure there be a spider for you. And you could go visit a few repile places to go look at some ask as many ques as poss.

5. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Have you thought about a pink toe?

They're webbers, not burrowers so you get to see them more! (Think the zebra is a burrower - may be wrong, Jamie would be able to better advise)

Em
    xx

6. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

I have kept tarantulas for years and would be happy to answer any questions you have. You do not need a licence to own one, so pick one you like and go for it :D The 2 species you mentioned are ideal starter species, as with any Brachypelma species...

Brachypelma smithi - Mexican Red Knee
    Brachypelma vagans - Mexican Red Rump
    Brachypelma klassi - Mexican Pink
    Brachypelma verdezi - Mexican Rose Grey
    Brachypelma baumgarteni - Mexican Orange Beauty
    Brachypelma emilia - Mexican Redleg
    Brachypelma albiceps - Curly Hair

If you wanna go a bit more adventurous, then you can get a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Greenbottle Blue) they are my ideal starter species as you get everything you want out of a tarantula. They have a decent growth rate, ravenous feeders, make very intricate webs and they are absolutely stunning for spiderling to adult. Google the name and you will see for yourself :D They can be a little skittish sometimes, but are not an aggressive species.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice