Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Licence Refused

Discussion in 'Dog Boarding' started by Jeebus, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Jeebus

Jeebus PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I've only just heard of/joined the forum after googling for some advice.

I recently applied for a dog home boarding licence, and it has been refused. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the appeals process. I think my application has been dismissed quite unfairly, as the gentleman who performed the inspection seemed to interpret some of the AAL guidelines quite differently to myself.

An example of such is the fact that according to the AAL guidelines, hallways and bathrooms can be used as designated rooms as long as other guidance conditions with regards to space allowances, temperature and ventilation are met. The inspector simply said that he "doesn't like to count hallways and bathrooms as designated rooms", and dismissed them without even checking whether they were suitable.

I understand that the granting of a license is at the discretion of the inspector, but what happens when the decision is appealed?

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am not up to date on regulations as it is years ago that I had boarding kennels but I would be quite miffed if I put my dog to a home boarder and found my dog was put in the bathroom or the hallway rather than being part of the family. I thought you were only allowed to take dogs from one family at a time now so why would you need extra rooms.

Rafa likes this.
  3. Jeebus

Jeebus PetForums Newbie

Hi, thanks for your reply. The new AAL 2018 regulations state that each dog boarded must have a 'designated room' in case he needs some time alone from the rest of the dogs, which would of course have free roam of the house. So the designated rooms would actually rarely be used, which is probably why the regulations allow hallways and bathrooms to be considered. I wouldn't dream of keeping a dog confined to a room for any longer than absolutely necessary as in my opinion it defeats the object of home boarding in the first place.

4. Yorkey

Yorkey PetForums Junior

I know you can't understand why the AAL regulations stated that the hallway and bathroom can become the dog's rooms, but the inspector still declines you.
    In my view, even if you are admitted, if you make the hallway and bathroom to the dog's space, would it be convenient both for you and the new dog?
    Your house will look crowded, and the dog also will be affected by the passenger and people taking a shower in the bathroom.
    Thus, for safety and convenience, why don't you try to change your plan to make some other suitable space to keep the boarding place?
    Then you can ensure people can bring their loved dog to your place.
    In addition, you can do some other homework about how people will consider before they choosing a dog daycare.

5. David Hendra

David Hendra PetForums Newbie

You have to be able to both heat and ventilate the designated spaces. Some bathroom and hallways don't have radiators and some hallways in particular don't have outside windows. This might affect the decision.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If I were in need of home boarding for my dogs, I would be extremely unimpressed to discover they had been confined to a hallway or a bathroom.

I am with the Inspector on this one. If those are your 'facilities', then they are not good enough.

7. Laura P N U

Laura P N U PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I just saw your post. I hope you've been successfull with your appeal?
    As you stated, according to the latest guidelines dated November 2018, hallways and bathrooms can be used if other conditions are met. I don't see how an inspector could make a decision that contradicts the guidelines?
    I hope it's all going to work out at your end.

8. paula rose

paula rose PetForums Newbie

That's disappointing as we were hoping to consider our hallway (which is large, heated and lit) as a designated room. Of course they wouldn't be confined there, but it ticks a box. It's either that or a bedroom, and a hall is easier to "dog proof"

Let us know how you get on

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice