UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Eeek............how many jabs?

Archie will cost £200 a jab!
It's a jab every four weeks and Maci had his fifth one yesterday.I except prices vary from vet to vet,so might be worth checking with your practice.
Maci still seems to be benefiting from it.He can't have any of the NSAID'S and,along with his canine massage and physiotherapy, he's doing well.He's an old boy with three legs,so it's a bit of a lifeline for him.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Think my friend is paying £50 per dog . They weigh around 25kg. Will check with her.[/Q
Checked with my friend. She is charged just over £50 per dog for the injection. This is in Central Scotland
Wow, that sounds very reasonable.We're in the Midlands,I guess prices vary from area to area and between different practices.
The way Maci was running on his three little old legs this morning though, I couldn't put a price on what it's worth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. I'm new here and have a question for those that have tried Librela.

My dog Ozzie is 11 and a half with arthritis and he tore both his rear cruciates when he was young. He's just had his 2nd dose of Librela and I have to say, I'm fairly underwhelmed by the results so far. He does seem a little better and has the odd moment of jumping/running, but nothing like what he used to be like just over a year ago. I'm a landscape photographer and he would come climb mountains with me.

I was wondering if it was always quick results (if you did indeed get a good result), or can it sometimes take a while to work better in some dogs?

It was presented to me almost as a wonder drug (the vet had used it herself on her own dogs) and although I was warned if you don't see results by the 2nd dose, there's not much point continuing, i'm just trying to work out if a 'slight' improvement is better than nothing and worth it to keep going. Or if in 3 weeks time he's still only slightly better, give up and try something else.

I'm also aware that not all his pain will be arthritis. He'll have a fair bit of muscle pain from the cruciates and no amount of Librela will help that. So it may just be his balance of pain is more muscle than joints for which he gets Loxicom.

Thanks
Neil

PS. For the ones discussing cost, my insurance company have been paying for it, no questions asked. Even put a claim in yesterday and it was paid today. Bought by Many.

·
❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️
1,829 Posts
Have a look at the Facebook page, Holly's Army. There is so much information from owners using Librela.

I think all dogs are different and for some it seems to take time to build up in the system.

Do you do any complementary therapies to help with the compensatory muscle pain?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a look at the Facebook page, Holly's Army. There is so much information from owners using Librela.

I think all dogs are different and for some it seems to take time to build up in the system.

Do you do any complementary therapies to help with the compensatory muscle pain?
Thanks for that. Will have a look.
I do try and give him a tissue massage every day. He also loves water (half Labrador, half Dachshund!) and we live by the coast (and near lochs), so I try to take him swimming a couple of times a week. And of course, get him to walk as much as he can to keep him exercised.
Then there's all the supplements and so on. I've tried a few and got another one (Antinol) to try, but holding off as I don't want to confuse any results, as to what made it better.
And the food he is on is high in fish oils. And I just bought him two nice big thick memory foam beds that seem to help him - hardly moves at night at all now. One spoiled boy!

·
Still missing my boys
42,311 Posts
My dog Ozzie is 11 and a half with arthritis
He also loves water (half Labrador, half Dachshund!) and we live by the coast (and near lochs), so I try to take him swimming a couple of times a week. And of course, get him to walk as much as he can to keep him exercised.
I may have read this wrong but, it could be time to slow his life a little, as he is now a relatively old dog and would naturally be slowing down and wanting to do less even if he didn't have these issues. It was the "walking him as much as he can" that caused me a little concern.

Swimming in warmer water would obviously be more beneficial to muscles, but swimming instead of a walk would relieve the joints.

And the food he is on is high in fish oils. And I just bought him two nice big thick memory foam beds that seem to help him - hardly moves at night at all now. One spoiled boy!
I'm sure my worries are unfounded and you will come back and tell me so, because he seems a very spoiled boy and very much loved :)
I just had to speak out through concern for an old dog :)
Unfortunately, we can't turn back time any more for them than we can for us

·
Registered
4 Posts
I may have read this wrong but, it could be time to slow his life a little, as he is now a relatively old dog and would naturally be slowing down
Don't worry, he's not being pushed too much. Certainly not any hill walking or climbing. Just trying to keep him active as much as he is willing to do and keep those muscles strong (and weight down).

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
Well after much research and many conversations with my vet Thai is booked in to start Librela on Wednesday.
After his scary colitis he isn't able to tolerate Pardale any more and even upping his Gabapentine to 2 x 400mg twice a day isn't enough so I am really hoping that this turns out to be the wonder drug that many are saying it is, and hoping even more that it doesn't set his IBD off.

Wish us luck :Shy

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well after much research and many conversations with my vet Thai is booked in to start Librela on Wednesday.
After his scary colitis he isn't able to tolerate Pardale any more and even upping his Gabapentine to 2 x 400mg twice a day isn't enough so I am really hoping that this turns out to be the wonder drug that many are saying it is, and hoping even more that it doesn't set his IBD off.

Good luck, beautiful Thai.I think it works well for some dogs and not at all for others.Hope Thai is in the first category.Fortunatley, it's still working for Maci (he's had 5 injections so far).Maci has a delicate tummy,which seems to set off at nothing and the Librela injections haven't upset him,so fingers and paws crossed for Thai.

·
Registered
14,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·

Hoping it works for Thai.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Flynn has had 2 injections and I've seen absolutely no improvement at all.

He is booked in for his third on Monday but I will have to shelve the idea for now. I literally cancelled his insurance a week ago and now he has some worrying symptoms, could be kidneys, so my money will have to be spent on that rather than the Librela. If it had worked I would've found money for both but since it appears to have had zero positive effect I feel giving it a miss isnt detrimental.

·
Still missing my boys
42,311 Posts
Flynn has had 2 injections and I've seen absolutely no improvement at all.

He is booked in for his third on Monday but I will have to shelve the idea for now. I literally cancelled his insurance a week ago and now he has some worrying symptoms, could be kidneys, so my money will have to be spent on that rather than the Librela. If it had worked I would've found money for both but since it appears to have had zero positive effect I feel giving it a miss isnt detrimental.
Where are Flynn's mobility issues?

I hope the other turns out to be minor

61 - 80 of 102 Posts