UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
14,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried this relatively new drug for arthritis? Thinking of asking my vet to prescribe it for my 13yr old collie who is beginning to suffer.

·
Maine Coon Madness
Cheese Chips and Jumanji
1,412 Posts
The efficacy is under half (brings relief to 45% of dogs), so if it's not effective after the second injection, you and your vet will need to seek other avenues of treatment. It's also administered alongside an NSAID anti inflammatory, and there's no real data on how safe it is long-term. It's definitely something to discuss with your vet, but keep in mind that the treatment is still in its early days (not much info on long-term impact of concurrent administration of the mAb and NSAID), and not effective in half of the patients it's administered to.

Does your dog have good immune and kidney function? Pups with those issues can be contraindicated for this type of therapy.

Here's some first party info from the EMA https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/librela-epar-product-information_en.pdf

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My dog has had two Librela injections (they are given at 4 weekly intervals).There was a marked improvement in him a few days after the first and this has been maintained to date.He is an older boy, around 15 1/2,who has had a rear leg amputated.He has some arthritis in his front legs and obviously anything that affects his mobility is very serious for him.He can't have any of the NSAID's because of problems with them in the past (he was really ill). Consequently,when I became aware of Librela,I looked into it for him.
His vet,who has always been brilliant with Maci,was happy for him to have it and felt that it was a good,safe option for him.I don't really understand the science behind it but apparently it works very differently to other arthritis meds .It contains a canine monoclonal antibody that targets nerve growth factor.
The company who produce Librela seem to be good at providing information so it might be worth contacting them if you have any questions.
I have heard of several dogs who have started on this treatment, through Maci's physiotherapist and his canine masseur.They report positive results so far.
I know it's a new drug but from what I have learned about it and seen so far, I am really pleased that Maci is having this treatment.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The efficacy is under half (brings relief to 45% of dogs), so if it's not effective after the second injection, you and your vet will need to seek other avenues of treatment. It's also administered alongside an NSAID anti inflammatory, and there's no real data on how safe it is long-term. It's definitely something to discuss with your vet, but keep in mind that the treatment is still in its early days (not much info on long-term impact of concurrent administration of the mAb and NSAID), and not effective in half of the patients it's administered to.

Does your dog have good immune and kidney function? Pups with those issues can be contraindicated for this type of therapy.

Here's some first party info from the EMA https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/librela-epar-product-information_en.pdf
I've found some of the information that I had before deciding to try this treatment for Maci, information that I also discussed with his vet.Maci has some gastrointestinal issues, aswell as multiple nodules in his liver.His bloods are monitored regularly,as an older boy with some issues.His kidneys are ok but have had a borderline SDMA reading at times (fortunately this has not been the case recently). Consequently,we have to be very careful about what medication's he has.His vet,who literally knows him inside and out (removed his spleen in life saving surgery,biopsied his liver etc) is aware of what treatment he can have safely.In light of all of the information, Librela was considered a safe option for his arthritis.

I was a little concerned that the above comment about contraindications may stop some people from exploring the possibility of this treatment for dogs that it may help.As always,I would urge anyone considering any treatment to do their research and discuss with their vet.

The following information is from Zoetis, the manufacturers:
"It functions like naturally occurring antibodies, with minimal involvement of the liver or kidneys in its metabolism and elimination from the body....also produces minimal gastrointestinal (GI) impact" and "Since benivetmab is an antibody it is eliminated by the body similar to endogenous proteins, with minimal involvement of the liver or kidneys..."
I am certainly not advertising this treatment,I can only say that,so far,it has had a really positive effect on my dog.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'm just waiting for my vet to see how her dog responds to this before looking at it for Thai.
I've heard some great stuff about it though.
Ahh,bless him.I know of a few dogs that have had it now and reports are very good.It's certainly put a spring into Maci's step.Now I worry that he'll crash when he starts doing his 'fast running' he looks so out of control but full of joy.

·
Registered
14,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've found some of the information that I had before deciding to try this treatment for Maci, information that I also discussed with his vet.Maci has some gastrointestinal issues, aswell as multiple nodules in his liver.His bloods are monitored regularly,as an older boy with some issues.His kidneys are ok but have had a borderline SDMA reading at times (fortunately this has not been the case recently). Consequently,we have to be very careful about what medication's he has.His vet,who literally knows him inside and out (removed his spleen in life saving surgery,biopsied his liver etc) is aware of what treatment he can have safely.In light of all of the information, Librela was considered a safe option for his arthritis.

I was a little concerned that the above comment about contraindications may stop some people from exploring the possibility of this treatment for dogs that it may help.As always,I would urge anyone considering any treatment to do their research and discuss with their vet.

The following information is from Zoetis, the manufacturers:
"It functions like naturally occurring antibodies, with minimal involvement of the liver or kidneys in its metabolism and elimination from the body....also produces minimal gastrointestinal (GI) impact" and "Since benivetmab is an antibody it is eliminated by the body similar to endogenous proteins, with minimal involvement of the liver or kidneys..."
I am certainly not advertising this treatment,I can only say that,so far,it has had a really positive effect on my dog.
Thanks. I'm taking Tremor to the vets on Friday for a full blood count and to discuss options. She then goes up to my chiropractor on Monday afternoon for a massage, spine alignment and laser treatment. My chiropractor has suggested Boswellia supplement for both her and Holly (who will be 10 yrs old in October). They are both on maximum dose Jointsure and golden paste but Tremor definitely needs something stronger now. We'll see what the blood readings are. She should have had a blood test last year but with me shielding due to Covid and my vets only seeing emergencies it's been difficult.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Thanks. I'm taking Tremor to the vets on Friday for a full blood count and to discuss options. She then goes up to my chiropractor on Monday afternoon for a massage, spine alignment and laser treatment. My chiropractor has suggested Boswellia supplement for both her and Holly (who will be 10 yrs old in October). They are both on maximum dose Jointsure and golden paste but Tremor definitely needs something stronger now. We'll see what the blood readings are. She should have had a blood test last year but with me shielding due to Covid and my vets only seeing emergencies it's been difficult.
Ahh, good luck with the bloods,I know what it's like waiting for the results.Boswellia was mentioned to me but when I looked into it,I was a bit concerned about Maci's delicate tummy.He's had to come off any supplements containing glucosamine because that was upsetting him (I email contents list of anything I'm thinking of trying to his vet to check it's ok with his conditions/liver medications).Maci isn't on any other meds for his joints,so his improvement, which started a few days after his first Librela injection,can only really be put down to that, although I did initially think the change in weather might have helped.It's been so wet since that we're growing webbed feet and he's still looking good,so I think the jabs have helped him.He does wear a Streamz collar too but already had that on.

·
Registered
14,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for your helpful reply. I am also a bit concerned about Boswellia. Riaflex upsets all my dog's stomachs and yet they are fine on Jointsure. Have to see how it goes. I've had good results with Bioflow collars in the past and that's another possibility.

·
Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie
1,803 Posts
My friend has her oldest dog on it. He goes for his second injection today. He's responded well to it so her next oldest is starting on it today. They both have arthritis

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Maci had to come off Riaflex,so I tried him back on Yumove but that upset him too.He can't have any of the senior foods that include glucosamine either.He had the constitution of an ox,so to speak, until he had to come off NSAID's some years ago.His system never really seemed to recover after that and now he's older with an iffy liver (just thankful the growths aren't cancer) we just have to keep tweaking things when we need to.I was delighted to find that Librela was not likely to be harmful to him as we were running out of options.Does Tremor enjoy the chiropractor sessions?Maci has canine massage and physiotherapy and he really seems to benefit from them.They really help with the overcompensation issues from his missing leg.Good luck for Friday's appointment.

·
Registered
14,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes Tremor enjoys her massage. All my dogs normally visit my chiropractor at 3 monthly intervals but because of Covid it's been difficult, especially as it's a good hours journey away. I'm a big fan of laser treatment but since we moved here 5 years ago it's difficult to find anyone local who offers it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Maci has laser treatment as part of his physiotherapy sessions.He has little exercises to do at home in-between his sessions and says he always does his homework!It might be because there are treats involved.He goes to physiotherapy but his massage is done in home visits.

·
❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️
1,827 Posts
Have a look at Holly's Army if you have Facebook, part of canine arthritis management. Brilliant resource.

There is loads of information from owners about Librela and how it's going for their dogs.

CAM also has a great Facebook live (also on YouTube) about monoclonal antibody treatments, which is what Librela is.

For me it is important to remember it works as a pain blocker and not an anti inflammatory so there may be no pain but inflammation could lead to other issues.

This is based on what I have read only.

·
Registered
14,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have a look at Holly's Army if you have Facebook, part of canine arthritis management. Brilliant resource.

There is loads of information from owners about Librela and how it's going for their dogs.

CAM also has a great Facebook live (also on YouTube) about monoclonal antibody treatments, which is what Librela is.

For me it is important to remember it works as a pain blocker and not an anti inflammatory so there may be no pain but inflammation could lead to other issues.

This is based on what I have read only.
Thanks I have recently joined Holly's Army as it was recommended by a friend.
I will discuss Librela and other options with my vet tomorrow but always useful to learn from other owners too.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm on Holly's Army and there seems to be a very positive response to dogs that have started Librela, and some where it has made no difference, although there is definitely much more positive feedback in my informal ratio analysis!

My boy had stemcell therapy 2 years ago and has been doing really well, (he has been on combinations of previcox, tramadol, gabapentin, amatadine, paracetamol) plus supplements and therapies all of which play a part but nothing much helped before his stem cells. He is med free at the minute but is getting a bit laggy and slow again, so been trying galliprant but is a bit hit and miss. Anyway he can't have Nsaids long term as had an ulcer and does seem to get sick after about a week on them if needed in an emergency and we can't get back to the stem cell therapist until september for any top up.... so long story short we are going to try Librela, first injection tonight - nothing to loose!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts