Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lib Dems' secret plan for high street cannabis cafes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, May 17, 2010.

?

SHOULD CANNABIS BE MADE LEGAL AS LIB DEMS SUGGEST

1. YES IT WOULD BE BEETER IF LEGAL

27 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. NO IT WOULDN'T BE BETTER

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. DON'T KNOW

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

2. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

I dont like the stuff, never have, however I know that its good for people who have MS etc, but I dont think its a good idea to have it in cafes and legelise it. But then you have the thing with, if it was legelised then would it not be so popular? I dont know about this. Tough one. I just know what I have been through with OH doing it and its not as great as its cracked up to be trust me!

3. Savahl

Savahl Guest

There are 2 sides to the drug and alcohol legality issue. One is that the more taboo you make something, the more you force it underground and the bigger the problem it is. If you look at any european country that allows younger drinking, for example Italy, go out on a Friday night and look out for drunk teens. You wont see them. You wont see people staggering about throwing up...except the british tourists - its less taboo so kids dont do it.

The same applies to Cannabis, in Holland say, where pot cafes exist, you dont associate holland with high crime levels or truoblesome kids - its not taboo so its not really a big deal and no trouble comes of it, and its not overused; like it is by some users in this country. Its consumed in moderation - in the same way we drink coffee.

However!! I dont smoke pot for the simple reason that I dont trust it, I trust the studies that link prolonged usage can damage mental health. So I dont believe that its a great idea to promote it.... but the other side of the argument is, thats their choice - like smoking or drinking, users know the risk but do it anyway.

another big however is the status of taboo already exists here, so the risk of it initially being overused and abused will be there until the novelty wears of and it becomes the "norm"

I dont think that it would lead to harder drugs if it were legalised, as it would be the same as saying smoking leads to heroin...which it doesnt!

fence sitting much?

4. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I think it's a progressive plan but needs very careful consideration and detailed study.

There are lots of social pros to legalising it but the long term mental health effects of smoking cannabis do concern me.

We already spend alot of money in this country dealing with the effects of alcohol and smoking related disease so to heap a whole load of mental health issues on an already over burdened NHS is a problem IMO.

1 person likes this.
  5. Muriel May

Muriel May Guest

No it is a VERY BAD idea and i dont agree on this at all. :mad:

6. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

great idea me thinks :thumbup:

FREE SPIRIT likes this.
  7. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I think its deffo something that could be looked at - many people smoke cannabis socially or for medical reasons.

There are pros and cons to all drugs - and although I think Cannabis is a safer drug than alcholol it does have side effects if taken over a long period of time. I supppose making it legal would stop all the dodgy dealers etc but then its a double edged sword because some people who have addictive personalities could start off on cannabis but go onto harder drugs which is where problems can start - Im not against the idea but do think it would need looking at very carefully.

8. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

very good points :)

i personally dont smoke it... i have friends that do, however i dont feel the need to smoke pot.

im on the fence but i dont think it would bother me as i wouldnt go in these cafe's or smoke it anyhow!?

9. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

im all for it :thumbup:

how many people have went on a killing spree while stoned? NONE
    You have to be predisposed to mental illness in order for it to affect you in terms of schizophrenia etc

they could have some control over it and people wouldnt resort to going to dealers and triad gangs etc

FREE SPIRIT likes this.
  10. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Totally agree. :D

11. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Good reply. I don't believe it leads to harder drug use either.:D

:lol:That made me chuckle, and so true.:thumbup:

12. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Not everyone who uses Cannabis will go onto harder drugs no - but it cannot be ruled out - most drug users start on Cannabis because it is the most readily available drug to them - research has said that heroin users who previously used cannabis is high.

Like i say it is a lot to do with your PERSONALITY - My OH smokes it and doesnt do hard drugs but he has said on many occasions IF he were to try a harder drug - he would prob become addictive to it because that is his personality.

13. Muriel May

Muriel May Guest

Unfortunately i have lived with someone who smoked it on a daily basis all day like cigarettes. And i have witnessed first hand the devastation it has caused to his life and my life and my childrens lives so that is why i am so AGAINST the drug.

In a legalised cafe or not it can still do the same thing to your life. :(

14. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I can't see any difference between sitting in a cafe smoking weed and sitting in a pub drinking. It will be interesting to see how much tax they put on it though.

15. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I was just gonna post hun that I too have seen what long term can do to SOME people ;)- I do respect that everyone is different - but I do wish my OH didnt smoke it - it has hindered him a lot in his life and has therefore had an effect on mine.

16. FREE SPIRIT

I agree that a person will ONLY go on to try harder drugs if they have an addictive personality or if they are easily led. As for the fact that users of harder drugs also take cannabis this is true but has no connection with the effects of cannabis itself. The sad thing is even those who just take cannabis have no choice but to come into contact with users of harder drugs when they go to get their cannabis. Which is why i feel it's also a good thing to legalise it so users DON'T have to be around hard drug users. As for those who think cannabis has effects on someone's health, as stated by a previos poster You have to be predisposed to mental illness in order for it to affect you in terms of schizophrenia etc

17. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I agree with most of what u say -and yes those that have mental illness are more predisposed to having health effects - but we cannot completely rule out health problems - I think when I say side effects/health problems I am talking more about the day to day effects on how you live your life -if u smoke it regularly - cannabis is known to give u that "laid back" I dont give a shite feeling ;)which is okay but some people can get so laid back they dont do much else with their life which in turn does affect them and those that have to live with them - this in itsself can lead to problems with health i,e stress for both parties - so indirectly I still think there are consequences albeit not actually bad health problems from cannibis.

18. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

So how did they come to the conclusion that you had to be "predisposed", how do they know that :confused:

I know people who were fine mentally when they were younger and taking drugs but the problems have emerged as they got older so how do they know if the drugs caused it or if they had a predisposition. Mental Illness can't really be predicted because their are so many contributing factors. There has also been studies done on younger children and the effect on mental health there is quite definately negative.

Schizophrenia is a very specific mental illness but Cannabis use also causes paranoia, panic attacks and can contribute to depression.

I am definately not against legalising it but i don't think you can ignore the potential health issues.

19. FREE SPIRIT

I agree cannabis can give people a laid back attitude to the point where they don't want to do anything BUT this is usually associated with them also consuming alcohol or when they first start using cannabis. I know from personal experience that, if anything long term use has very little effect if any....hence me giving it up...lol...was not going to waste my money on something that had no effect. As you also know, i don't drink which was my main reason for taking cannabis in the first place. But i have been around many drinkers who also take cannabis and YES they did have that attitude where they cannot be asked to do anything, which i agree would cause problems in any relationship. :)

20. FREE SPIRIT

Many tests have been done but tests have also shown that cannabis CAN have an effect on the developing brain. So if a person was to start smoking/taking it at a young age and even up till their 20's i believe it has been said this can cause problems. But cannot cause mental problems for those who start using it at a later age.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice