Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lhasa Apso - A Big Dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by petsrkool, Apr 14, 2011.

1. petsrkool

petsrkool PetForums Newbie

Our Lhasa Apso acts like she's tough as a Doberman or Rottweiler at times, especially around other dogs or animals she's not quite familiar with. We have had quite a few dogs over the years and a great many of them seemed open to making new animal friends. Not this little one though. She will eventually settle down but her first instinct is to fight. This is the first Lhasa Apso we've had is this normal behavior?:blink:

2. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Not owned the breed myself, but I can tell ya my Rotti boy aint tough lol, he's the biggest wimp going :)

3. pinklady

pinklady PetForums Member

I had two Lhapsa Apso going nuts at my Akitas this morning, lucking mine are friendly and just ignored them, the owner said "they are big dogs in disguise!!" i think alot of smaller breeds do this. Most of the small dogs we meet are just yappy and not nasty so that is good :eek:)

4. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Ah, small dog syndrome! LOL

I once had 4 dogs that lived in the house together, the small one was the Alpha dog! He was a 20lb terrier mix and he was the boss. :rolleyes:
    It is typical of small dogs. My big dogs never acted tough and let him be the leader.

I find big dogs are the more laid back :cool:

5. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

I'm not sure. Daisy is a tibetan terrier so similar to a Lhapsa but abit bigger.

Daisy has no size awareness at all. She takes them all on! :eek: :D

6. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Mine is a Lhasa cross and on one of the Lhasa websites it says that when they look in the mirror they see a lion! Mine is confident and just wants to play with every dog that he sees.

7. niki

niki PetForums Senior

My shih tzu is exactly like that... Only thing is if the other dog takes an interest in her she hides behind my legs!! X

8. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

A neighbour of mine has 4 bark day and night Bobby just ignores them now :D

9. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

it shouldn't be acceptable. if a large dog was doing this behaviour to others, it wouldn't be seen as funny. small dogs get away with such behaviour because it is seen as cute and its funny that a small dog is trying to take on a big dog. but small dogs should be just as sociable with all breeds and sizes of dogs as any dog. I would address this issue now with a trainer before it becomes too ingrained.

10. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

My auntie has a Lhasa Apso and he is the most laid back dog I know.
    He's not bothered by other dogs whatsoever, he just carries on and doesn't even give them a second glance. He's not even yappy.

11. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

lhasa's and shittys were bred as indoor guard dogs by the tibetian monks many years ago.. hence the "big dog" attitude.

12. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I've got lhasas and none of them are confrontational with other dogs, they do bark when someone comes to the house but are never nasty, they just want to have a sniff and will then wander off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice