Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

LH or SH???

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kiara, Jul 2, 2009.

1. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

Hi all.

the kittens are now 9 days old. 3 of the 4 have their eyes open. what i was wondering is, they seem to be long haired, mum is short haired, does this mean dad is long haired???

thanks

2. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Heres a link for you that will hopefully explian what you want to know.

Genetics |

3. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Baby kitten coat is very fluffy. For the kittens to be long hair, Mum, as a short hair will have to carry longhair and Dad will have to be either longhair or a longhair carrier.

4. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

Tabitha is short haired as her own Mum was but two of her five kittens were long haired. I thought the stray I sometimes feed was the Dad - and he's short haired too, so there must have been long hair some way back. Tabitha's great grandmother or grandfather (can't remember which) was a Maine Coone, so I guess that's where it came from. I remember being surprised when I realised two of the little furballs had long hair.

I do feel sorry for Moppet (the long haired cat I kept) in this heat though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice