Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Letting the cat out after moving- any tips?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Brightonian, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Brightonian

Brightonian PetForums Member

Hi, I moved a couple of weeks ago (2) and my outdoor cat is itching to get out. I'm going to keep him in for another week before he ventures out on his own. Since moving in he has been outside wearing a harness, we have walked around and he's had a good sniff round.

Is there anything else I should be doing before I let him out for the first time?
    We don't have a catflap but there is an external covered stairway so he has shelter for when he doesn't come in when he's called. I'll make sure he goes out feeling hungry too!

He has a collar and is microchipped as well.

Any advice would be great x

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Have you are a garden? If so then at the weekend while the weather is nice then I would let him out while you do a bit of weeding in the garden and you can keep an eye on him.
    He will probably do more sniffing a round and in the next few days he will start to go a little further. If you keep calling his name he will be aware of where you are if he goes into next door.
    Also do you have any busy roads where you live and are you out at work a lot?

I am sure he will be fine but keeping him to a routine if you can is best for both of you.

3. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

Three weeks doesn't seem very long, it would be better to keep him in a bit longer if possible - 6 weeks is often sited as the minimum - but I know this can be difficult if the cat is getting frustrated.

I too started by staying in the garden with my cat and calling him and rewarding him with treats when he came back to me, gradually allowing him to explore further and for longer over a period of a couple of weeks before finally letting him out on his own (I had no choice - in the end he got fed up of my interfering, leapt over the fence and ran off!)

I also scattered my cat's used cat litter all around the boundary of my garden when I first started letting him out. I thought it would help him to know where he lived and would also warn other cats who might have been regarding my garden as part of their territory that there was now a newcomer. I had the idea that this might cut down on any confrontations.

Hope all goes well and you and your cat are happy in your new home :)

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If you are around most of the day I am sure he will manage with the covered stairway for shelter in bad weather for short periods, until you are able to let him in to the warmth and safety of his home.

But if you are out at work all day I think he will need a cat flap, unless you are planning never to allow him out all day and only let him out in the evenings when you get home. He certainly won't want to be shut out all day whilst you're at work that's for sure!

But the danger of only allowing him out in the evenings is he will sleep all day whilst shut in, and then want to be outdoors all evening and you will hardly see him! The dark winter evenings are also when cats are most at risk of injury from passing traffic (unless you live in a traffic free zone of course!:))

If you are in rented property most landlords these days (including Local Authorities and Housing Associations) will permit the tenant to install a catflap in the outer door, providing the tenant agrees in writing to replace the door with a new one when they move.

Or if it is a G/Floor flat, a cat flap can be fitted in the corner of one of the windows, and the rest of the window re-glazed. Again the landlord would expect a written undertaking to have the window re-glazed as normal before the tenant moved out.

5. Brightonian

Brightonian PetForums Member

Thank for the replies, I thought 3 weeks would be enough, but I don't mind keeping him in longer and just doing supervised outdoor visits. He is happy using the tray and has his beds and toys ;)

The first few times where I let him out without a harness I will go out with him, do you think he will just sniff around still? Is this something I could do at the 3 week stage?

There isn't any major roads nearby, but he has always been good about traffic. He prefers the bushes and trees to roam in!!

I dont have a garden but the neighbour has said he doesn't mind me walking around with him in his garden.

6. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

6 weeks?

Ours were kept in for 2/3 weeks at most. One had been an outdoor cat before, the other not so. But they were both indoor cats for about a year before we moved.

Cats are pretty brainy when it comes to where they live. They can venture far and wide but still know where their home is. To re-enforce this, make sure your home has fun things for the kitty like plenty of toys and such. I am sure this is the case already.

Make sure you treat them when they come back after you have called too. This way it'll be so much easier to get them in when you want.

But if they are desperate to get out and you will let them anyway, AND you've taken them out on a harness then they know the way back in the house so let them go :D
    If you are visible in the garden this may also give them comfort and know where "their" garden is.

We only allow our cats out when we are home but put our back door on the chain so it's always open for them. We do pop out to the shops but I live in a safe neighbourhood.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice