Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Letting the cat out advice please.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by spainboy, Jun 5, 2010.

1. spainboy

spainboy PetForums Newbie

Hi. Im new to the forum and I would like some advise please.

I live in Spain in an apartment on the 2nd floor of which I started to share with a friend only this year.
    I have a 6 year old Ragdoll cat who has always been a house cat when I used to live with Ex and only restricted her to the garden supervised by ourselves.

Anyway my new flat mate wants to open our inclosed balony windows all day and night within the next 2 weeks because of the summer heat. It is a big balcony that has a 60cm ledge that runs all the way around it,there is a 25 foot drop to the ground too. There are no other connecting balconies so my cat couldnt really jump anywhere in reach only down but like I say its about 25 foot.

We tested her this afternoon and she walked around the balcony ledge for a bit, came back in then went back out again. To be honest im absolutely petrified something would happen when the windows are open all night as well when im in bed but he keeps reminding me that she is a cat and shes not just gonna jump right down to the floor. I have visions of waking up and shes not gonna be there but like I say theres only one place she could jump and thats down.Surely a cat's judgement is like a humans though isnt it??

Whats your advise on this.Will she be fine and should I agree to get them balcony windows open all summer?

2. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

hey welcome to the forum :) the only thing i can think of is there any way you could put up some netting or something on the balcony that way u get the air coming in and can let your cat out and not worry about him/her, also you wouldnt get flies and things getting in. I would worry about my cats being able to go out when ever they wanted. I dont know how realistic this would be but just an idea i hope it helps.

3. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

How about getting window shutters. It gives you more privacy and security and looks nicer than a fly/mossie net.

Would that be an option? Maybe a bit pricey to do on all the windows - but maybe worth getting shutters for the balcony doors if that is what worries you most?

4. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

Hi and wellcome, i also have a raggie, i have just brought catflats to put at my windows,they are really good and you can get them on line and they are not to expensive.Otherwise netting is a good option, my friend brought this netting for her flat balcony and its great and you will have piece of mind. If you put in catflats in google it should bring it up for you. Hope this helps.

5. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice