Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

letting our kitten outside for first time?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Get-In-The-Van, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Get-In-The-Van

Get-In-The-Van PetForums Junior

I have a 6 month old kitten called Coco who has just been spayed on monday. In a couple of weeks time when she is all healed i want to start letting her go outside as she's not been out yet.
    I've not had a cat before and wanted to know the best way to start letting them out and hoping they won't run away.
    I have fears of her going out and not coming back.
    She has also been microchipped too.
    Thank you,
    Stacey xxx

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

you ought to assess all the risks in your area before letting her out. Try taking her out in a harness to start with so she gets used to the outdoors. When you let her out on her own, start at meal times before she has been fed. Leave her out for 10 mins or so and then call her back in with her food. If you feed dry just shake the box.
    It is very difficult letting a cat out for the first time and you can never be sure that they will come back but other than through an accident most cats do come home :) and if they are neutered do not tend to wander too far away.
    best of luck with Coco and hope her op. goes well on Monday.

3. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

It IS scary and it is natural to be worried for the first few times.

While she is recovering from neutering, get some treats - Natures Menu do meaty ones and loads at P@H. But treats in a tin or a jar and get her used to coming to you by calling her and rattling the treats. Reward her. (Do read the packet though to see if there is a limit per day).

Try to let out only in daylight hours and get back in during dusk and night time. It will be asy during the summer but more difficult if you work in the winter.

Try also to feed at regular times so that she knows when mealtime is.

Best of luck

4. Get-In-The-Van

I have had Coco since she was 6 weeks old and i let her out in the back garden and she likes to wander around it.
    I shake her biscuit box when i want her attention and that does work. Also she responds if u call her by her name.
    She got spayed on monday, and is recovering well.
    Within the next few weeks im hoping to start letting her out while we are at work but keeping her in the house at night when we go to bed.
    Our area is very quiet, no main roads so shouldnt be a problem.
    She has also been to the toilet in our back garden already leaving her scent lol....
    I think she is going to be okay.
    Also how do u go about getting a cat flap installed into my back door?
    I really dont know. xxx

5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

If you don't know anyone who's good at DIY have a look in your local paper for a handyman - they'll fit one for you. If it's going into a glass door I think that's a bit more tricky. In the pets section of our local paper we have someone advertising to fit cat flaps.

6. Get-In-The-Van

Thanks so much. Our door is a double glazed door with window at top and plastic at bottom.
    I will check out the paper sometime x

7. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

I didnt have any choice about letting my cat out, shes a feline houdini and escaped thru a locked cat flap by headbutting it! She hadnt been spayed tho so she was pretty determined. She came home when she was hungry and prefers to be out at night. now i just let her come and go as she pleases, shes normally home by midnight but i dont worry if shes not, they all come home when they are hungry xx

8. Get-In-The-Van

Do cats behave differently when they have been spayed then?
    I never knew that lol.
    She is used to goin out in the garden but not actually out all day on her own when we're not there. I dont think she will go too far though, she likes sitting in the garden and chasing flies and watching the birds then comes back in for food and water and fussing xxx

9. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

If they havent been spayed and are in season then they are DESPERATE to get out xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice