Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Letting new kitten and cat stay together while I'm out.....

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by KittyNoir, Jun 29, 2010.

1. KittyNoir

KittyNoir PetForums Newbie

Hello

I left a thread the other eek about introducing a kitten to a cat. i did the isolation room and slowly intorducing smells, then introducing cat to kitten while the kitten was in the cat box and for the last 4 days have now started letting the kiten out of her room to explore the rest of the house. Obviously our older cat is still getting used toher, still hissing and growling with the odd swipe when the kitten gets to close.

I put the kitten back in her room when i go to work and when we go to bed. the only problem is her safe room is our bedroom (don't have any other rooms suitable to use as her safe room ) and now she has been out she always wants to be out, and going to sleep is hard when you have a kitten meowing at the bedroom door!

I was just wondering when it would be safe to leave the bedroom door open at night so she can go out into the rest of the house if she wants too. Do I wait until our older cat has stopped hissing and growling at her or just let her out now? :confused1:

2. Simba9952

Simba9952 PetForums Member

Hi KittyNoir, all new cats or kittens have to get used to each other and keeping kitty in one room while your older cat is allowed to roam won't help. One, your older cat will want to know why access to a previously 'open' room is now closed (and will also know the kitten is in there) and two, your kitten now knows there's a world outside the room and wants to explore :)

Best thing to do is if you have a couple of days off (Sat, Sun) and stay in all day giving kitten and cat full access to your home and each other. Just see how they get on. If the swiping turns into a full blown fight (which shouldn't happen) then intervene and stop the fight, but don't separate them into different rooms. If you start separating them by room you might be making the problem worse. Cat's are territorial and need to know who's 'top boss'. Only they can sort this out.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

3. KittyNoir

KittyNoir PetForums Newbie

Thanks Simba. Thats why I wanted to check, I was concerned about creating 2 seperate territories and creatinga problem. I'll keep getting them out while I'm at home and leave the bedroom door open so both cats can go in and out and then i'll let them out over the weekend as suggested.

thanks for your help:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice