Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

letting my cats out

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kirsty1991, Apr 13, 2011.

1. kirsty1991

kirsty1991 PetForums Member

Hi everyone i need some help here
    I have 3 cats the females are 7 and 5 year old and the male is 10 month old
    i want to let them out but i am 2 scared incase they dont come home.
    i have already lost 1 cat and after 3 month i am still heart broken, i know cats do die but i would rather them die of natural courses instead of thinking was that done by someone else cause i let them out.
    can anyone help me on what to do

2. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

hi Kirsty, why do you have to let them out.....IMHO its far better to keep them indoors and know they are safe and secure, or if you do let them out make sure they are supervised , or even better build a run for them, good luck.........Chris

3. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

If you dont want to let them out you don't have to!

How long have you had the girls? Have they been outdoor pets before, at your home? Cant quite tell from your post.

If they have previously been outdoor, you can quite easily 'adjust' them to indoor life. Plenty of toys and a nice window seat will be sufficient. I keep mine indoors, and I also would worry too much if I let mine out. I have nothing against outdoor cats but if you have these concerns over it, theres no need to put yourself through it. Your cats won't hate you for it!

There are a lot of risks for outdoor cats, and in my own opinion, the benefits do not outweigh these (some of course disagree, but thats my take on it)

IF you do decide to let them out, make sure they are all fixed (which I assume they will be at that age but not sure on your boy :) )

4. kirsty1991

I have been getting told that it is best to let them out
    i have had the girls from being about 6 weeks old and they have never been out unless i have been in the garden and yeh all my cats have been done from 6 months as i dont agree with unwanted kittens.
    i have the problem that 1 of my female cats is about 5kg but took her to the vets and she is fine never medical wrong with her my male cat is starting to get that way but they only get a pouch and a half a day with is split into 3 halves and they have their biscuits down all day but they have the full run of the house apart from 1 bedroom

5. kunzy

kunzy Guest

i wouldn't risk it.

6. chesca13

chesca13 PetForums Member

I agree with Raggs, for every reason to let them out there is a million reasons not too, we had two cats when i was younger they were outdoor cats but we lived in away from main roads and near feilds, having said that one got hit by a car(thankfully didnt die but got a broken leg) and then he died a few years later from trying to get into an open window, both of which wouldn't of happened if he'd been indoors.

If they have never been out they wont know any different and even if they have there are many 'slaves' on here with cats who are now indoors. Again as Raggs said build a cat run we are doing one this summer so they have it both ways then but safely, i also have a screen on the bedroom windows and they sit there all day looking out the open window listening to the birds and getting fresh air.

But at the end of the day it is up to you, they are your cats, i dont have experience letting them out so cant give advice on that but im sure someone will be along...

7. kirsty1991

i think i will keep them in and then i wont worry when they are out and i cant find them thanks everyone 4 your advice its helped me make my mind up and i dont care what any1 else says my cats are staying indoor cats
    just got to try and get my cats weight down since she has got fatter since she has been done

8. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Its a Tough one, We let ours out but only because he,s got a big garden/s to explore and we keep a very close eye on him - he never gets out if nobody's home, we call him often when he,s out and he comes to us. We only have 1 cat, but 3 would be a challenge I think.

As previous posts say, cats can adjust to indoor life. What about building a Cat run for them, If you know someone that's quite handy, its not rocket science and not too expensive and might be your best option if you think they may get lost or worse if they do stray.

9. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Rubbish to the bolded part :) You keep them indoors if thats what you want. To be honest after that long inside they might not know how to handle themselves outside anyway.

Everything else sounds very sensible and absolutely fine. One of my kittens is a right fatty, He's 3.8kg at 7 months (though a big breed) If you are concerned you could take away the dry biccies as mine would gorge on them so, they only get wet now as I can track that better.

10. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

I keep ours in, i would love to let him out but we live by a road where there is a lot of traffic and im also scared of something happening to him, so perhaps im selfish but hes safe, hes out in the garden with us when we are out on his harness and he knows then when we go in he goes in and he seems content with this.

Until i started on here, i didnt realise how many "innies" there are x

11. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Are they showing an interest in going out? If not, then don't worry about it. If they are, then look at your garden to see in it can be either cat-proofed or can acommodate a cat-run.

Do you have a decent sized cat tree that they can clamber over to keep them active & the weight down? Also, I have heard that rather than put their food in an easy place for eating (on the floor) put it high up or somewhere where they have to work to get to it - if you have the facility to.

What about those balls that you can put biccies in that they have to chase around to get the bics out?

I have an indoor & outdoor cat - Merson absolutely LOVES going out so I have to put up with it. Oscar is far too lazy to go out and feels that it is his job to guard the king size bed....!! :(

12. kirsty1991

i fought my cat was big :laugh:
    she is nearly 6kg at the age of 7 but she isnt a greedy cat unlike my 5 year old female and my male cat you would think my 5 year old is a dog they way she goes on you cant have a bag of crisps without her head in the way

Thanks everyone for you help

13. kirsty1991

they dont bother going out unless the door is open and i have tried to put it on the bench but my fat cat doesnt go on the bench much so she wasnt getting any food. i have also tried the ball but they dont seem to bother with it if the biscuits dont come out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice