Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Letting my cat out

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Hporter10, May 21, 2019.

1. Hporter10

Hporter10 PetForums Newbie

So I have recently moved house and need some advice.

My cat has never been outside unaccompanied
    He is nearly 2
    He is fairly naughty, and he gets so distracted when outside that he doesn't come when we call him, shake treats or toys. Nothing.
    We have been in the new property just over a week but plan on moving soonish (within the next 3-6 months)
    We have no cat flap and cannot install one

I have quite bad anxiety and the cat helps a lot with that. But every time I think about letting him out alone to explore I panic he won't come back or will get hurt and it sends me into a frenzy

I'd just like advice from people baring in mind all the factors above :)

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Can I ask why you feel he needs to go outside unaccompanied ?
    He cant miss something he has never experienced so why risk it.Can you cat proof your garden or build a run to keep him safe .
    The fact that he has no recall and gets distracted makes him a prime candidate to get himself in to trouble of some sort or another.

chillminx, ewelsh and jill3 like this.
  3. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I would stick to what you are doing.
    When you move will it be for a longer time and you can pop a cat flap in or even cat proof the garden?

chillminx and kimthecat like this.
  4. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Take him out on a harness. He will want to be out at all times still but at least you have control. My nieces cat has just died from being savaged by a dog and my neighbours cat got knocked over a little while back but survived - amazingly they are back to letting him out all day again. No way am I risking that

5. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome :D

I have indoor and outdoor cats, I live very rural so the risks are minimal but still have risks.
    I have never allowed my cats outside until after 2 years old, they just don’t have the calmness and weariness that a more mature cat has, remember the saying curiosity killed the cat.

In your circumstances I would keep your little one inside, nice and safe with no anxiety for you. Wait until you move again or are in a position where you can cat proof your garden, that’s a win win all round and a marvellous compromise, plus your little one will be much older.

More and more cats are indoors now!

chillminx likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Hporter10 - I agree with the others. I wouldn't let your cat out unaccompanied. He is not good at recall and a stubborn cat who is disobedient about coming back when called is not going to be good for your anxiety levels.

Either keep him indoors all the time time while you're living at this house or take him out on a harness and leash. (e.g. a Mynwood walking jacket). And then when you move, cat proof your garden at the new house to stop him wandering. It will be best for him and best for you (in terms of your anxiety).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice