Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Letting kittens outside for first time.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by KirstyLouise, Apr 19, 2011.

1. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

Hi Guyd

OH wants to let out just under six month old kittens outside but im really unsure as they havent been spayed yet and vet wont do it until they are six months and also i know this is soon but im just really unsure about letting them out.

They look through the cat flap and meow at the door all the time so i really dont know what to do. Can they reproduce if i let them out because i wouldnt allow the OH to let them out if they did as thats selfish.

Any advice?

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

1. 6 months is too young, never mind under 6 months.

2. Does he want pregnant kittens?

Basically your OH is being rather silly, to put it mildly. They are not old enough to fight for themselves if they go out, and yes they could get pregnant.

Any advice? Keep them in until at least 10 months and spayed.

#2 gloworm*mushroom, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  3. Shimacat

Shimacat PetForums Member

Good advice above. Don't let them out until spayed, and even then watch them - depends on size. I'd say 10 months is a good age to let out.

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

You could also point out to your OH that the kittens could go awol as un-neutered males will travel much further afield than neutered ones. Does he want to lose the kittens? That might sound a bit OTT but it would be a reasonable argument against him if he continues to insist they are let out. If they get the smell of a queen on heat...... :blink: :blink:

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Please do not let your kittens outside until they are spayed and old enough at least 9 months.If your kittens became pregnant at such a young age it could at best result in abandoned kittens which need to be hand reared,and at worst dead mothers,and all combinations you can think of in between.There is no rush to let your kittens outside,it isnt going to go away.Until they have actually experienced it for themselves they dont know what it is.To them it is just another area they want to see.They are curious by nature and want to test out everything good and bad in their environment.

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

DOH!!!!! Note to self - Must learn to read!!!!! :blushing: :blushing:

Of COURSE boy cats are neutered & GIRLIE cats are spayed....... <sigh>

Ok, tell the OH that if your GIRLIES (I'm getting it now....) are let out unspayed, then every Tom cat in the area will be after them and could frighten them which could result in them running off in fright and getting lost....

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

:thumbsup: :lol:

8. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

There males i got it wrong sorry and im defo not letting my boys out if anything happened to them id be gutted.

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Yeeehaaaaa!!! :thumbup: Just call me Psychic Moggy...... :ihih:

Then may I refer you back to my first reply..... :D :D :D :D

10. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

As the other have said, please don't let them out until they have been nuetured, and are at least 10 months old. Even at 10 months old you'll need to think very carefully if they are mature enough to go out.

I've got 2 almost 1 year old here, and if I were even thinking of letting them go out doors (which I never would be) they are definately too immature for the dangers out there.

11. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Ahh boys, well yup they certainly can get into fights with other toms as this point and at their age, they would easily be very badly hurt, or worse. They can also impregnate other cats.

Do not read the cats longingly looking out the window or cat flap as a desire to go out which you are cruelly taking away. My cats would happily jump in my dishwasher or fridge given half the chance. They are just naturally curious and do not have desires etc to go outside. Especially at their age with no previous outdoor experience.

12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

That was lucky :D.Seriously now though.My kitten was neutered at 5 months so I think your vet is being a bit old fashioned if he is sticking with 6 months,not that it matters as far as being old enough to go out is concerned.There are a lot of dangers for adult cats with wise heads on their shoulders to cope with out side,never mind the scatty playful little minds of kittens,who see everything as fun.Best to wait until they are old enough mentally as well as physically.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice