Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Letting kittens out 6 weeks before holiday?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Rachmo82, May 15, 2017.

1. Rachmo82

Rachmo82 PetForums Newbie

Hello - we have 2, 6 month old boys who are being neutered & chipped this week. They are both desperate to get outside however we go on holiday in 7 weeks time for 2 weeks. I'm not sure they'll be in a "routine" of getting out by then? Also is it cruel to let them out and then keep them in for 2 weeks? Or is it more cruel to keep them in until we get back and they'll be 8 months old? We have someone coming each morning and evening to feed & pet them (and clean out their litter boxes!) Any advice appreciated

2. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

Personally, I would keep them in until after your holiday no matter how desperate they are to get out.

They are still quite young, will need recovery time after being spayed. All that as well as your holiday...

Ali71, PetloverJo, Lurcherlad and 2 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would keep them in until you get back as without someone around, they may go wandering.

They are still too young to be out for long and need to be locked in at night, which might be an issue if they don't come in when called.

Is a cat proof garden possible?

PetloverJo, buffie and claire8234 like this.
  4. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

They cant miss what they dont know

lorilu, PetloverJo and buffie like this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with above,they are still too young to be allowed out unsupervised and will be much better kept indoors for a few months yet.
    Even if they were older and used to going out I would still recommend that they were not allowed out while you are away as anything could happen to them with no one around to help them.
    Not sure I would be happy leaving 2 7 month old kittens alone for 2 weeks with only a couple of visits a day they could become very bored and unhappy.

PetloverJo likes this.
  6. Rachmo82

Rachmo82 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice! Keeping them in was my gut instinct thanks guys!!

Ali71 and buffie like this.
  7. Serenity123

Serenity123 PetForums Member

Could you look into a cattery? X

8. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

If you were to let them out now and I wouldn't. But just think how the person coming in to feed them would feel if they got out and didn't come back when they needed to leave.

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I can't imagine any kittens, never having been outside, "desperate to get out". They've never been out, how would they even know? Unless they are already sexually mature, that might make a difference, if they smell an intact female outside.

But yeah, keep them in. I wouldn't let them out until they were at least a year old, and even then only under supervision.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice