Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Letting dogs off lead- do you?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Canine K9, Sep 22, 2013.

?

Do you let your dog off?

1. On every safe walk

72.8%
  2. On some walks

17.6%
  3. On a Flexi/long lead

19.1%
  4. On a short lead

6.6%
  5. Other

4.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Canine K9

Canine K9 Bailey Woof

Was just wondering how often pf dogs get off their lead. :D
    Bailey is never offlead he`s always on a long lead. He loves other dogs and if he see`s one he`s off and nothing stops him. Scents I doubt I could recall him from. With no distractions he`s perfect. He is also so blimming slow. I have found no toy or treat which is higher value than sniffing every blade of grass :rolleyes: Hopefully a squeaky tennis ball will work :)
    Getting him to recall from dogs and scents too- not going to be easy but hey :)

Soooo do you let your dog off?

2. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

Yep Lily gets let off lead every day. She is pretty good though and does come back or wait when asked. On regular walks she will stop without being asked at the places where she knows its time for putting her lead back on..:D

3. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Daisy yes - she's pretty rounded.

Clover not around dogs she doesn't know, or around kids. While she wouldn't hurt anyone she does bark and I don't want her scaring kids.

4. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Yep harvey has brilliant recall so goes off lead where ever possible.

Chance goes on long lead in quiet areas and off lead on empty beaches.

5. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

Mostly on lead as I haven't got the recall 100% but when he is playing with the dogs he knows at the park I let him off as they never go far and its fairly secure.

6. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Flint is offlead every walk during the day.

Craven is offlead in safe places only,fairly secure and no deer.

I'm a firm believer that dogs need offlead time and Craven gets it about 4 days a week the rest of the time he's on a longline.

There is no way that I could walk him on a lead for him to get the exercise he needs.

7. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

Inca goes off more or less anywhere that's safe. As long as we have her tennis ball, nothing else will distract her and she will ignore everything except her tennis ball. She's pretty good and very reliable off lead :)

Jessie only goes off lead when there is no one around, as she is too over friendly around people, but if a dog charges at her, she gets really snappy, so she is a bit unpredictable around dogs. Normally, when we go to the field, she is off unless anyone else is there. If anyone else is there, she is on the flexi lead or a long line just to be safe.

At the moment, she has a muscle injury, so until we get her sorted with that, which could be a while, she isn't allowed to do any agility or running :( :(

Jessie has a bit of a mind of her own :rolleyes:

8. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

Whisper has excellent recall and barely leaves our side so she goes off-lead anywhere it's safe for her. She has no aggression in her whatsoever. :) xx

Teddy's problem is that he loves everyone and everything lol. So if there's other dogs around he stays on lead (Flexi mostly) as otherwise he'll run up to other dogs etc. But he gets regular off-lead time in quiet, safe areas. His recall is fast improving too.

There is nothing better for us than watching Whisper and Teddy play with Teddy tearing round like a loon in happy circles lol. And Whisper bouncing round playing with him like a puppy herself. :001_wub: xx

9. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

On every walk that I coneider safe. The teenagers don't let them off so they only go off lead when I'm walking them and if I can get to the places I consider safe so not every day.
    We are currently camping in Exmoor, the dogs will stay on lead as I don't know the area well. But at my local beach, country park, woodlands and the forest, but the forest depends on the time of year, yes all 3 are off lead.

10. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

All of the above!

Not inc. scooby, raven is almost always off lead! Rossi is off sometimes and if its safe, otherwise he is on a long line. they are both on short leads going past major distractions.

Runa is still in my arms at the moment so she doesn't count either!

11. chissy 15

chissy 15 PetForums VIP

Only let Hogan off on a couple of places we walk, one of these is petty much fenced all round. Other wise we use a flexi or if a open field his long 60ft heim lead. No amount of clicker and high value treat training works when he sees birds flying around lol He goes deaf :mad2: He starts coming back when he's tired himself out :D

12. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I purposely look for walks that Chester can go off lead :) his recall is pretty good ,the fells are brilliant for him , as long as we keep away from the sheep , mavis never :eek:

13. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Bizkit and Pippi can go off lead anywhere they've both got brilliant recall.

Shannow goes off lead every day but only because I walk in quiet places, footpaths and farmland etc. I can't let her off lead on busy parks because her chase instinct is too strong.

14. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I wouldn't let them off together in woodland at the moment. This is not due to Molly's recall, but the fact she is always looking at Pippa, I would worry she wouldn't look properly and she would end up face planting a tree.

I would let them off together in fields or tracks.

I'm very fortunate to have a secure field we go to twice a day where they can play safely together without any risks... I know all the local dogs too, so I know who to avoid and who to encourage meets (Molly's got a little JRT friend called Noah).

The plus side of having no car is they are good on their leads!

#14 dandogman, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  15. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Mine both go offlead anywhere safe for them to do so. One of life's greatest pleasures for me is watching them running at full speed (as long as they're not running towards something that they shouldn't be :eek:).

16. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

Luna, Tula and Precious all go off lead, they are all pretty good and all come back when called and are pretty obedient. We did lose Luna temporarily the other day when she decided to chase crows and got further and further away and wasn't quite sure where she was, despite having a big mouth my voice just wasn't carrying that far.:)

17. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Offlead on walks where they are safe to do so.
    Onlead for the usual stuff, dogs, horses, children passing and pavements.
    Onlead but on a 6ft lead attached to my walking belt for walks where they need to be onlead for extended periods of time and where there may be livestock.

18. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

Rust is a bit chaotic off lead so is only off in large spaces. His recall isn't bad but he is so bloomin' fast that he can clear a field before i've blinked. Our "normal" forests though he stops and waits at path crossings to make sure he knows which way to go... He has had an injury recently so has done a lot of onlead work... this has made him twice as bad as he was so i'm having to work extra hard with him now ;)

Shae is fab and won't leave my side. She can be a bit OTT with people but listens nicely... If Rust is with us she will follow him and come back when asked for a treat.

19. foxyrockmeister

foxyrockmeister PetForums VIP

The Pickles are off lead 99% of the time, their recall is good and we only walk in places where it is safe for them to be off lead :)

I love seeing them running free, chasing each other, sniffing and exploring and do believe it enhances their lives but I also think it very much depends on the individual dog and the environment, you have to do what is best for your dog and your situation.

The down side to the Pickles' situation? They are dreadful on their leads!

20. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

My dogs all go offlead on every walk once we reach the park. They are sometimes put on lead when we see other dogs around but more often than not they stay off as they all walk to heel when told.

Cagney has to go onlead around people/dogs as she is unpredictable and could attack a dog if she wanted to (always muzzled too) as she either likes dogs or wants to 'kill' them, so she isn't trusted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice