Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Letting a kittern out for the first time

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by KateandCasper, Jun 26, 2009.

1. KateandCasper

KateandCasper PetForums Member

Hi all, Casper has now been with us for a month and we are thinking of letting him go out.

We have been taking him out in garden on a lead for a couple of weeks so he is used to the garden. Today we let him out in the garden with no lead but well supervised, all was going well and then he decided to climb the fence and was about to go off next door when my husband grabbed him and brought him indoors.

How do you know when they are ready to go off adventuring and how do you know they will come back. I have been shaking treats everytime he comes back inside after a walk on the lead but he doesnt seem that bothered and Im worried we will let him out and never see him again.

Any advice on the best way to introduce them to going out greatfully recieved.

Kate
    x

2. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

i feel the same as you iv had my cat for 2 maybe 3 month!! and she is very little for her age i cant seem to get her to grow im scared incase she is too small to let out and scared she doesnt come home!!

3. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

(just looked at ur pik) meisha my cat..she is defintly smaller than ur kitten cant seem to get her to grow lol

4. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

We kept Tilly in for 6 weeks before allowing her out on her own and even then she was supervised. It's so hard to let go it really is and even now when i say she goes out alone i still dash to a window every 5 mins to check she's still there! Perhaps she will go wandering off, we've had two incidents of Tilly doing so but she never went too far and we managed to find her and bring her back safely - it is horrible though! I guess if you want her to be an outdoor cat you just have to bite the bullet at some point and let her have a bit of freedom, just make sure you have a window nearby!:D

5. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

It is hard letting cats out because they will climb the fence and wander you know not where.

If you are going to let them out then:

1. Only let them out during daylight hours if at all possible

2. Have a catflap or somewhere that they can escape to and is shelter. A magnet operated or chip operated flap will not let other cats in but magnets have to be attached to collars.

3. Train them to come to a noise - for instance, banging a steel dish with a spoon or rattling a tin full of noisy treats. Reward with a treat when they come and always reward when you do this other than at food time

4. Prepare for the worst: chip them. Take photos of them so that if disappear have an instant picture for a poster or showing when going round neighbours. Consider insurance.

6. KateandCasper

KateandCasper PetForums Member

Thank you, he is chipped and insured so I guess I have to bite the bullet and let him out.

Only thing we dont have is a cat flat, our door is a upvc dopuble glazed type - anyone know how easy it is to fit one in that kind of door?

7. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

It is possible but it is costly. You can also buy the chip version catflaps which you can fit to an outside wall of your house.

8. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

We don't have a cat flap for Tilly as we rent the property and the landlord doesn't want to encourage tenants with pets so won't have it installed. It makes it more difficult as we have to leave the door open a jar when she's out so she can easily get back in as she likes to pop back every so often and check things are still as she left them lol in winter it gets cold so she doesn't stay out very long but in summer it's fine as we would have the door open anyway....it can still work without a catflap but Tilly is a predominantly indoor cat, it would depend on how much you want him going out.

9. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i live in a flat so cant have a cat flap. so i jst keep an eye on sheldon while hes out. when its time to come in i make a funny noise and he comes runnin likewise when he wants to come in he waits till i look out the window and will cry at the door so i go let him in. this is workin for us as i cant have a cat flap and wudnt like one anyway.

you cud always keep a window open for him to get back in through if your worried you wnt be able to come to his rescue all the time

good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice