Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Letting 2 indoor & 1 older cat out

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by loumoo, Apr 1, 2011.

1. loumoo

loumoo PetForums Junior

Hi there
    I recently moved, a week ago today. A house with a big garden..
    I have 3 cats: two sisters about 1.5 old and an older one about 12/13 years.
    Now i have let the older one and the more outgoing of the sisters out under supervision and brought them in( a few mins here and there).

The older one i think i can trust to come back, as she didn't go out much at my other place( lived in a flat on 2nd floor)..
    The younger one really likes it outside and so on, her timid sister is curious but still cautious.

So after name tagging and possible chipping, when is it safe to let the mixture of indoor and one semi outdoors/indoor cat outside. I want them to enjoy life, but worried they will run off..There are a few dogs neighbouring, so their barks should scare them off from at least climbing the back fence.

Worried about the train line which is about few mins run for them..

Seen a good few cats around though..

Need some advice:) x

2. loumoo

loumoo PetForums Junior

Now the older one Snowy is meowing like crazy to go out..Its night and i just let out briefly..

I have two feliway plug ins, one in the kitchen where they are a lot and another upstairs on my landing..

Do i trust my older cat to stay in the garden and not explore over fences..

( i live about 2 miles from mine) not that she went out much in the past year and so before we moved)

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Hi there,

You really need to decide how you feel about letting your babies out and how much freedom you want them to have. If your garden is large enough, you might want to consider building a run where they can exercise safely and where YOU have peace of mind knowing that they are safe.

If you don't fancy this then be prepared for them to go off adventuring in the gardens in the neighbourhood. However, you may find that your older cat is quite happy to stay in the garden with just an occasional foray over the fence to see what is over there. Also, I used to live right NEXT to a train line 11 years ago & that was never a problem. Cats have got great hearing so I think they always had plenty of notice when a train was coming.

If you do let them out, then chipping is a must and should not be negotiable.

You may get a number of posts recommending against this as some members are very anti-letting your cat roam free but, ultimately, these are your babies & you know them best.

One last comment - are they all 'done'? If not, please get them done before you allow them out. You do not want to end up with a load of toms in your garden if your girls goes into heat. Or a bunch of kittens...

Good luck :D

#3 MoggyBaby, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  4. loumoo

loumoo PetForums Junior

Hey there :)

Thanks and yes all done, ..maybe due for boosters and flea stuff in a month.

My garden is wide and big compared to other houses..Not really big etc, and its broken off into beds and paths etc.

I know i could get some cat fencing maybe, but not sure on the cost and there is a lovely blossom tree in the corner as well.

When the two went out supervised, they sniffed around and never went out of our garden.

There was a dog barking as soon as he smelt the cats i think , this dog lives in the garden/house backing into mine.

Others have cats around here etc..

I have only been here a week, so need to not let them out full force yet..

5. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

On the couple of occasions when I moved house, the boys didn't get even a whisker over the door for at least a month. I was taking NO chances! :D

You might be lucky & find that they're not big adventurers - My Merson is for the off the minute the door or window is open and yet Oscar just looks at me as though I am trying to poison him with this 'fresh air stuff'!! :blink:

You'll get lots of advice though on cat runs here. Apparently E-bay is a good place to look although there are some people here I believe who provide them too.

6. loumoo

loumoo PetForums Junior

Yeah i want them to live long and prosper etc :D

As i have lost a few in the past, but keeping them in all the time would drive them mad and me, as i would be stressed about them being stressed..

As for a run, not sure . Maybe fencing, as i want to get into gardening soon..

Feliway is helping them all keep calm now..But if someone really wants out, you have to let them have freedom or the money for over priced abundance of toys,posts and god knows..

I have got them toys and scratching pads..at the moment cardboard boxes for the sisters to hide in..

More worried about the younger ones really...

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

8. loumoo

loumoo PetForums Junior

Yeah i have two harnesses from pets at home ..took one out and the timid one ran off before i could get it on..

Though when i put the harness on leela didn't want to go anywhere.

:O)

9. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

If you have six foot fencing or similar in height then cat proofing can be quite easy and cheap to do yourself.
    We had some metal elbows made and attached them to the fence posts and then we got some black strong pond netting from the local garden centre and attached it to the metal elbows. We also threaded some strong wire through the netting for extra strength.

It works and the cats are now safe.
    The indoor pussies will not no any difference so being kept to your lovely garden they will be safe.
    The out door one will also get use to it as being older they tend not to bother to roam.
    I will try and get a picture of ours later so you can see what i mean.
    Hope this helps.

10. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

As promised just managed to get some pictures.
    This was a cheap quick job as our Boy went missing last year for six weeks and so when we got him back it had to be done quick.
    It works and i have painted some fences this week so it merges in better.
    Hopefully in time some of the trees and climbers will help hid some of it.
    It works and our babies are safe and that is the main thing:D

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice