UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, i feel like I've raised Wiley Coyote here. Everytime he smells a cat in the back garden he's ready to go. The problem is that kitty is 50 feet away and always has an escape route. So I let Tuco out, and he has absolutely no idea how to catch kitty -he just runs in the general direction of kitty (obviously vision is not his strong point) and growls and kitty easily hops the fence. This has been going on for years. Over fifty or a hundred times it has never occurred to Tuco that sneaking up on Kitty might work better than just running at him fuill speed and making a lot of noise.

Should we give up and just accept having kitty win or should we film it for Disney? let me know please. :D

G

·
Has Tuco ever met a cat before? I'm just wondering if he'd change his tactics if he knew more about what he was chasing. He probably doesn't know himself if he wants to make friends with the cat or swing it round the garden by its neck.

Failing that, cats rule, dogs drool :p

·
Look into my eyes....
17,624 Posts
Isla was born into a breeders who also had a number of cars, but since coming here at 8 weeks she hasn't seen any so I'm not sure what she would do. She doesn't seem to have a particularly high prey drive and is usually transfixed to the point of immobility if next doors chickens come wandering down the lane. She was, however, showing what I consider, too much interest in the sheep in one of the fields we walk through. Not madly so,but she wants to stop and stare and I'm not sure what she would do if she ever came across sheep and she was off lead. Early this week we did a different walk and went past a field with a few sheep in it. I stopped at the gate to look at them and they all came trotting over to say hello as they are used to humans and fairly tame. Isla ended up sniffing noses with them and seemed quite nervous and unsure, but I think she finally found out that they are not strange looking dogs. When we went on our normal walk she seemed less interested when we walked through the sheep field and apart from glancing at them she showed far less interest then before.

Might be worth introducing Tuco to a cat used to dogs if you know of one.

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
I know this is old, but i have to comment.

WHY would anyone let their dog out to deliberately to chase a cat? Regardless of whether or not said dog could catch the cat. All it does it reinforce and reward the chasing behaviour.

One day the poor cat may make a mistake and not be so lucky :(

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I used to let my last dog scare off cats...but he wasn't doing it on purpose, just him appearing in the garden made them run away.

That's why I was joking about that being the point of the game. If cats didn't run away he just said hello, if they ran but he caught them up, he said hello. So I wasn't really thinking about why you'd let a dog who you weren't sure what they'd do go out with a cat there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I know this is old, but i have to comment.

WHY would anyone let their dog out to deliberately to chase a cat? Regardless of whether or not said dog could catch the cat. All it does it reinforce and reward the chasing behaviour.

One day the poor cat may make a mistake and not be so lucky :(
It is the same cat every time and I'm sure it is well aware by now that a dog lives there. I have no interest in seeing a cat get hurt, so if I thought he would both a) actually catch the cat; and b) actually do harm to it if he did catch it; then no I wouldn't let him out.

As far as 'reinforcing and rewarding' chasing behaviour goes, I think you need to study up on your B.F. Skinner before we get into a debate on that. :D

G

·
Rhudyard has a similar thing for birds, although I think he would at least try to do it some damage. He's a house cat so his experience of birds is limited to the view from the window, but he's fascinated by them. He's normally quite particular about what he bothers to pay attention to, yet he'll spend hours just gazing at birds.

I remember my dad's lab getting repeatedly beaten up by his cat. The cat would just decide occasionally that the dog needed a really good no claws thump to the head, and the poor dog just took it every time. Generally though they got along pretty well, the cat doing cat things and the doing his best not to sit on the cat or accidentally run into it when bounding around. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.