Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lethargic new puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by joja, Jul 7, 2009.

1. joja

joja PetForums Newbie

Hi,i just brought our new pup home yesterday,at first he was playful and ate,drank water seemed fine.He had his first shot and deworming two days ago.Now he seems not well,he has thrown up his food,and thrown up white foamy substance.His stool is very soft not quite diarrhea.Just wondering if it could be because hes homesick missing his siblings and mother.Any ideas would be appriciated.:confused:

2. Ryan2009

Ryan2009 PetForums Junior

have you changed the food he was on from the breeder?

3. joja

joja PetForums Newbie

No I'm usin the same food,but i also have another small dog and the puppy did have a tiny bit of her food.Do you think maybe thats caused it?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It might be an idea to get him to the vets. Puppies dehydrate extremely quickly, and being lethargic is not normal for a young pup, and could be indicative of a problem.

It could be the fact that he was vaccinated and dewromed in a short space of time. If he were mine, id get him checked.

5. Ryan2009

if you suspect that the pup is dehydrated it might be an idea to mix some goats milk into his water to try and tempt him to drink more.

6. joja

joja PetForums Newbie

Thanks Nonnie,i'm thinking the same thing,just was so strange he was playful and seemed happy when i first brought him home.Unfortunatly I live in a remote community in British Columbia and its 3:46Am no emergency Vets where i live,I guess i'm in for a two hr trip ,not complaining just wish i could get him to a Vets right now.
    Thanks for advice. Thank you also Ryan.

7. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Could you also call the person you got the pup from ,if they have other pups ,just to make sure they are ok.

8. Ryan2009

i hope hes alright! keep us posted on what the vet said when you get back! good luck!

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If an animal is losing fluids through vomiting and diarrheoa, then drinking wont be enough to replace the loss..

A drip is more often than not needed to combat dehydration, to replace volume, and the vital electrolytes.

To the Op, all you can do is monitor him throughout the night now. I still advise you to get to the vets as soon as you can.

10. Going to agree with Nonnie on this one! Take the little fella to the vets! better to be safe then sorry! Could well be nothing be really think you vet needs to be the one to judge this! whick he will after taking the temprature!

regards
    DT

11. joja

joja PetForums Newbie

My friend also purchased one of the pups and i talked to her last night and she said the little female is doing fine.I'll keep you all posted and will be leaving here as soon as husband gets home from work.Thanks again!

12. Ryan2009

could you call the emergency vets before you take him to explain the symptoms and then let them determine wether the pup needs to be taken in? they could give you some advice over the phone?

13. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi, hope you pup is ok.

14. joja

joja PetForums Newbie

Well seems my little pup Buster had a reaction to the dewormer and vaccine,but he's doing well now,caused upset tummy and the poops.I'm so happy was so worried about losing him.Thanks all for your concern:)

15. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

ohh good glad all is well with him now.:)

16. rona

rona Guest

Good news :D

17. joja

joja PetForums Newbie

Well the little guy is sick again,this time i called the lady i bought him from,she was quite rude to me and suggested i pay his Vet bills.Shouldn't thier be some kind of good health Guarentee ,i bought him with the understanding he was healthy and when i first got him he seemed to be.Now she's taking him to the Vet herself and I know she's going to ask me to pay bill.Any suggestions on what i should do or say?Am i wrong?Should I pay the Vet? Oh and i have not completely payed for the puppy yet was paying the balance tomorrow.I'm just really sad only had him for a short time.:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice