Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lethargic Airedale

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dan, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Dan

Dan PetForums Newbie

we have a two year old Airedale. his whole life he's been unstoppable a super energetic dog!over the last two weeks he's changed dramatically, sleeps the majority of the time, seems to limp when he walks ( like he aches rather than injured)and has little interest in anything except eating... oddly. trip to the vets - diagnosed stomach upset, antibiotics and bland diet for a week, no injury- all good stuff but very little improvement. before we get into expensive tests and xrays...anybody any ideas?

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hi sorry to hear his not been well
    what leg?? could be hips????
    but i think your best choice is the tests as you dont know whats going on with him
    could be something simple then could be something worse

hope his better soon

3. Dan

Dan PetForums Newbie

thanks Carol.It's his front left legs so hips are out... i think you're right, tests it is ...as it's our first Airedale just need a sanity check

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

airedales are lovely dogs your lucky you dont see meny about nowdays
    he could have hurt his leg but they cant say so it cost a fortune at the vets to find out
    :) :)
    would love to see some pictures of him
    is he large i see some few years back and they were small for airedales

5. Dan

Dan PetForums Newbie

the leg thing is relatively recent i think and came on after he'd been ill for while..on a brighter note .. you see quite a few around us and we have two of them. Dylan is full size now and stands about 23 inches at the shoulder, currently weighs in at about 25kg but two weeks ago he was nearer 27, Maggie's only 8 months so not fully grown yet but she looks like she'll be as heavy and bit shorter..haven't got many photos of them ( they never stand still still long enough) but he's a few dodgy quality ones i took on my phone a few months ago.

Attached Files:

6. carol

carol PetForums VIP

they are so lovely
    good luck at the vet

7. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Might be nothing to do with it but how does the dog that is lethargic get on with the younger bitch, does she bully him at all ? Its just a thought, sometimes dogs like people get depressed, if the other dog they live with is always "on at them". I'd definately get the vet to look at testing as it has now gone on for a couple of weeks.

8. Dan

Dan PetForums Newbie

thanks jenny...good thought, she is all over him but the limping is getting worse...and he hasn't been walked for week nearly know ..back to the vets i think

9. Margaret

Margaret PetForums Newbie

HI I have just got a 12 week old airdale who is a bundle of fun, all teeth now and has just started puppy class, I have found at puppy class that he is a bit over the top with the other puppies, because of this we have to keep our distance and just be quite about the other puppies. We are enjoying having him but he is a lot of work, We too have two other dogs, one is a
    cockerpoo and the other is a bedlington mix. They have been putting him in his place but the bedlington is now starting to play a little with him. I think it will take along time for the cockerpoo to have anything to do with him. Nice to see your Airdales

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice