Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lesson learned

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Deleted member 1487765, Oct 8, 2020.

1. I know not to wake up a sleeping dog or approach carefully but yesterday I made a stupid mistake... Nova was very tired from a day full of adventures and had curled up to sleep on the couch. I approach her from the side to pet her and she got startled really badly. She barked, growled and snapped and unfortunately got me in the face. It’s only a teeny tiny scratch today but yesterday the whole world was ending for me. She got such a fright and me too. I screamed and she peed herself and I held my face in shock.

I know 100% that was my fault and I felt truly devastated yesterday. I’m so grateful she has good bite inhibition. My husband stayed back with her while I went to the ER to get a tetanus shot. I had to wait for a long time and cried by myself in the waiting room - but luckily I had @McKenzie to message and she calmed me down a whole lot! Today you can hardly see it and Nova has forgotten all about it and is up to her usual antics.

i tell you yesterday I felt so rubbish about myself and I’m still feeling a little sad today. How stupid that was of me!!! Poor husband was so worried about mine and Novas bond but she ended up sleeping snuggled up to me all night and I was holding her.

I didn’t want to share at first but I feel better now that I have!

Lurcherlad, margy, Duggee and 3 others like this.
  2. Here is us trying out our new Ruffwear bungee lead today and feeling a lot better

I let her rest all morning and at lunch time we only had a small walk. A longer walk this evening but I wanted to keep the day quiet and calm.

B5B560FE-080B-4803-BE9B-26053C39619F.jpeg

i was worried this would set me back in my progress I’ve made dealing with my post lockdown depression but nova is a great example. New day, new page to write on.

Beth78, O2.0, Lurcherlad and 5 others like this.
  3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Glad you are OK.

As you said "let sleeping dog lay" but we all do it, I'm guilty of doing the same when Dillon has been sleeping, it's so temping to fuss them when they look so cute and I have done it, lucky Dillon never reacted,

Don't beat yourself up lesson has been learnt and Nova will have forgotten all about it.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

So glad you’re feeling better today x

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I've liked your post because you said you are feeling better, not because of what happened - but accidents do happen, so all you can do is move on. :)

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

So pleased you've managed to put this behind you, it must have been a shock .
    Last night I put Reena on the sofa next to Bobby who was asleep, about 2 feet away from him, but he woke up with a start and barked and air-snapped at her. We were both quite shocked as that's the first time he's reacted like that since we got hm 18 months ago. Reena's given hm a wide berth since then !

7. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Ah no how upsetting for you. Try not to worry. Sox snapped at me when he came out from his operation I was upset but he forgot it and blamed it on the drugs. Sending hugs from boxers.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is just one of those things. something to be aware of but not to stress over. I am sure she forgot about as soon as it had happened.

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Don’t beat yourself up.

She was snapping at the “scary monster” in her sleep I’m sure, and didn’t realise it was you.

As you say, lesson learned, so there’s no reason it should happen again.

10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm going to go against the grain a little here.

While I agree that it was most likely a one-off and not something you should stress over, I wouldn't completely ignore it either. I'd store it in the back of your brain for now, but don't forget about it.
    A startle response is understandable, a really bad startle response makes me think something else might be going on. Maybe she's sore, maybe she was over stressed, maybe... IDK - that's why I'd file it away just in case something pops up like a lameness or something. Then you can say, oh, maybe that day we were so busy she might have overdone things and it's a slight injury from that.

See, I've had dogs in my lap or in my bed for 40+ years and never had one bite me in their sleep. Not when I get up in the middle of the night to pee and accidentally step on whoever is sleeping next to the bed. Not when Bates puts his head in my lap and falls so sound asleep he's growling and snarling in a dream. Not when giant great dane heads were next to my kids on the sofa sleeping equally soundly... Not all those years as a child I slept with a grumpy fox terrier in my bed (who did bite me when awake and annoyed with me for blowing in his face), but he never bit me in his sleep.

Is Nova normally a stressy dog?
    I think you're smart to keep today low-key. Let her relax a bit.
    I like her new leash! :)

11. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

Glad you are feeling better today @Kakite.xxx

12. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Oh I’m glad you’re feeling better today! Don’t worry about your bond at all - Nova will have forgotten it already!

13. @O.2.0 she never usually has startle responses like that. She sleeps in our bed as well and on us or with us and doesn’t get startled easily. I think we had a super busy day, long walk + pet shop + she had her first DIY bath at the dog shop and she was very fast asleep - she didn’t even open her eyes when I came close. I think normally she can still hear us or we are talking if we are near or approach her. But I was tired also and was quiet.

She’s not normally a stressy dog. I have noticed she was up and down all night last night though and I will keep an eye on her. I want to give her a check over today to make sure nothing is bothering her. Even when she has been in pain with her dew claw injury she never gets snappy or growly with us or the vet.

It has taught me though to be really careful when we have other people around and she may be sleeping in the lounge just to avoid it ever happening to another person. Even at the vet or when she had her

thanks for everyone replies.

14. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

Must of been a big shock for both of you. Glad everything is okay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice