Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Less vocal breeds?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by little_legs, Mar 14, 2017.

1. little_legs

little_legs PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

Random question here from a newbie:

I was wondering if anyone knows which breeds are generally less vocal?

I know each dog is an individual and will have their own personalities, but are there breeds that, as a whole, tend to bark less? What are your experiences with the breed you own, and how do you train your dog in regards to this?
    Just interested to hear people's experiences :D

-LL

2. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

My lab cross was silent as a puppy as she hit the ear old mark she has started making some funny whining noises. She isn't much of a barker, only when someone knocks on the door she lets one out

3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Generally my golden retrievers have not been avid barkers, but they are individuals and some have barked more then others.
    The one I have now is very quiet. She doesn't bark if someone knocks on the door or if people pass by the front of the house, but the back of the house is sacrosanct as far as she is concerned. There is a bridle path that runs along the top of the field which slope up steeply behind us, it's not heavily used, just the occasional walker or rider, but they have to be barked at and if anyone she doesn't know comes round to the back of the house which is handy.
    The only other time she barks is if we are staying at our static caravan. There are only five vans on the part we are on and we all overlook some woodland. Its a very quiet spot and more often or not we are the only occupants. If she spots anyone coming along then she will bark to tell us that there are strangers about, but she does recognise a lot of people who come and visit us or who own the other vans in 'our' bit

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Contrary to popular belief one of chihuahuas is practically mute, its only in play when she is vocal and that's when another dog has run off with her favourite toy that she takes umbridge.
    My Yorkie rarely barks too, practically mute. Has barked to alert us to misdemeanours at night, for example son lovely person smashed a car window. I was in a deep sleep never heard the smash, but heard footsteps, running away and notified the police.

My other chi came to me,..lets say with known problems and would bark at nearly anything and everything. However with treats, love and allowing her to find her feet and not let her practice barking whilst we were out as much as we can, she barks now occasionally if someone knocks at the door, but for the dog that no one could walk past our house, day or night she's been amazing. Living in a terraced house near to a local super market, I get a lot of pedestrians walking past, and if she heard them, saw them or saw a shadow of them, the barking would commence.

My vocal dog is my staffy cross, OK so it was fun for her to bark, talk to me, she makes a myriad of noises, when she was younger and she just carried on. It's more talking, and barking on the garden is usually alerting me to something or she likes to join in with the other barking dogs a few gardens away. However, this isn't acceptable to me, and she will turn on her heels to a call of her name and goes in.

5. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

I think sighthounds generally are pretty quiet. I don't know.
    I have a German shepherd and a German shepherd mix so they're both quite talkative...

LinznMilly, Sairy and 3dogs2cats like this.
  6. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Retrievers generally aren't noisy, noise would be heavily penalised and totally undesirable in a working retriever.

I don't think my Lab barked until he was about 6 months old and when he did, he made himself jump.....

For my sins now have three very noisy dogs :Banghead

AlexPed2393 likes this.
  7. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

We were all shocked when Bonnie barked, all the cats legged it and I think she peed herself a bit

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

You're right, they would be penalised and chucked out of a shoot. I had one that just squeaked in excitement if she saw rabbits/squirrels/game birds or even just a ball being thrown, so she would have stood no chance.:D Two have been virtually silent and the other was a barker at humans.

9. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I know others will probably disagree but Cavaliers/Bichon are not a non vocal breed, my two are gobshites and I really need to work on it as they are awful, note, never ever laugh at a puppy with a cute little woof barking and bouncing at a hoover, as it will grow up and bark at everything :rolleyes:

10. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Hovowart is another breed which is not by default noisy despite being a guarding breed.

11. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

My family have had 6 Golden Retrievers and none have really been overly vocal. They now have 2, one you rarely hear bark unless she is chucking younger one out the bed or waiting for you to throw her ball.
    The younger one barks at people at the bottom of the garden, as there is a lane there that people walk up (it's not used much though).

Muttly is fairly quiet at home, he only barks to alert us of unusual things or the postie. However...

put him and Bramble together (the young Golden) and they wind each other up lol. One barks and sets other one off, we eventually get them to be quiet, then the other one will have a woof, off they go again :Facepalm

12. CrazydogsX2

CrazydogsX2 PetForums Senior

Hudson my Newfoundland rarely barks unless something is out of place or he hears a noise outside our house at night.

13. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Breed doesn't always make any different we have had two Briards Amber you wouldn't have known we had her, Dillon can bark for England when his in the mood :rolleyes:

14. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Firstly, the comment about Retrievers being quiet makes perfect sense.....but someone recently posted a clip here of Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers in full voice and boy was it something to behold! I'd always liked the breed until I heard that they are famous for their "Toller scream"!

Closer to home, my dog has a totally split personality - she stays with my friend when I am at work, and we chose her together when she was about 5 months old. After a couple of weeks, we still hadn't heard her bark. I was delighted but my friend, for reasons I long ago stopped trying to understand, was disappointed. One day he was thrilled to tell me that she had barked at last. When she is with him, she is now a total PITA. She never bloody shuts up. When they're in his car, I hear them coming from the other end of the street, and when I once found myself driving behind them, I could see her bouncing from window to window like a rubber ball with vocal cords.
    I hate barking. Every woof in my presence gets "that's enough!". But it only happens about once a week. And in my car there is rarely a peep out of her.
    You can draw your own conclusions...

Muttly likes this.
  15. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Sighthounds in general tend to be quieter than a fair few other breeds

16. planete

planete PetForums Senior

Three lurchers and a terrier here. The terrier barks and the lurchers watch him in complete silence :cool:

17. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Yup my Shepherd loves the sound of her own voice. She only barks for a reason, but she's very whingey. There sounds to be a typical German Shepherd whine that is very recognisable.

picaresque likes this.
  18. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

They definitely have a recognisable sound. My girl sings for her supper :D And breakfast, and also walkies... sounds like she's being murdered! She's a real drama queen at the vets as well, must put the fear of god into the dogs in the waiting room :eek: She's not much of a barker but my crossbred boy is, he also likes to howl along with sirens and ice cream vans.

Sairy likes this.
  19. little_legs

little_legs PetForums Newbie

Our family JRKs are fairly quiet... Apart from when they think they see a cat in the garden. Then they won't settle down until they're let out to sniff all the corners and behind the bushes to make sure the cost is clear, then they come trotting back looking triumphant. Of course most of the time there was never any cat and it was their old eyes playing tricks on them :confused:

applecrumlin likes this.
  20. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I really hate barking... and our springer is a nervous barker :Shifty We have to keep the blinds closed all day long or she barks every time someone walks by. Any wee noise outside and she sticks her head through the blinds and barks like a lunatic out the window. We constantly apologise to our next door neighbour but he assures us he's never heard her.

Katalyst likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice