UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just showed my mom and one of her friends a Leo and a Beardie picture,asked them could I buy one for myself,(I first tried with snakes,but my mom is too freaked out,so after a couple of years of asking for a snake,I decided to drop it and decided to give lizards a try as they`re my 2nd fav. animal)after a few seconds,my mom said that we will talk about it,witch is in most cases is a yes.I talked to our family friend and he said that I should to pick a lizard that I would like to have,so that I can talk with my mom about it.Here are my pros and cons.
Leopard Gecko-Pros:Smaller tank,cheaper,lots of pretty morphs,easier to care for,doesnt need a UV light.
-Cons:Small,nocturnal.
Bearded Dragon-Pros:Good size,more personality(from what I`ve read),cute,diurenal.
-Cons:More expensive,bigger tank,you need to give it fresh greens,fruit every day,needs UVB,complex diet.

To me,Leo is much simpler,cheaper to keep,but a Beardie is what I look for in a pet.I dont mind the extra maintenance,but I do mind the cost,science I`m 13 and have one more really expensive hobby that I pay for myself,I dont really know if I`m gonna be able to handle the entire cost by myself,I dont mind the starting price,just the fruit is a little bit too much to buy everyday.I would like to hear your opinions(no bias please.) on witch one should I get(if my mom agrees to me having a lizard),judging by the above mentioned.I dont know is that if I was to get a gecko,I`d get 2 females in a 20 gallon,If I was to get a beardie,I`d just get a male also important.

G

·
i suppose you could look up 'rankins dragons' if the size of a beardie is a problem , they look the same as beardies , have personalities of beardies , just smaller than beardies!;)
Rankins Dragon .co.uk

take a look at uromastyx - very easy to care for lizards! i have one , his names dave!! beautiful lizards!:D and totally vegetarian apart from the odd cricket ever so occasionally!

don't rule out lizards from the anole family too.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I`ve seen Rankin Dragons a while ago,but I prefer Beardies,their size isnt a problem to me,just the fact that I will have to get a UVB light,I took a look at the uromastyx I like it,it looks kinda strange,but is very pretty,I dont know where would I get a hold of one tho as in my country,not so many people keep reptiles as pets,I know of only about 3 people.The first lizard I was planning on getting was the Green Anole,I really like males because of the red "ballons" that they fill up when they see a female and want to mate,but then I started looking into Leopard Geckos,and a few days later,I went to a pet-shop to buy some stuff for my cat and turtles,went into the reptile room,looked at some BP`s,corns and milks,then I saw a Bearded Dragon there,I was amazed,I did research on them and they fit the profile of my perfect pet.I`m kinda worried about the UVB cost tho and I dont know exactly what substrate to use,I sorta like reptile carpet because its somewhat cheap,easy to clean and reduces odder,but I really like the natural look of sand and I also dont really know what type of greenery to give them,do I need to gutfeed the crickets 1-2 days before I feed it to the Beardie and can I give it water in a water bowl or should I just mist the terrarium? :confused:

G

·
hatchlings shouldn't be on sand :)
lots of people i know use kitchen roll , vinyl or kit the vivarium out with tiles like this;
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p78/Miia-13/image.jpg
i've always thought tiles adds a nice effect:)
or for a natural looking vivarium you could use some polystyrene , tile adhesive and paint to get things looking like this.
How to build fake Rock Wall/Hides
hopefully this will give you a few ideas:)
beardies need a waterbowl:) i know some people spray them though i'd be concerned about too much humidity in the enclosure and bacteria, hope this helps.:)
as for live feeds heres some useful information:):)
Caring for Feeder Insects - Hades Dragons UK
and the UVB is vital a beardie won't survive without one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,I already know that babies shouldnt be on sand,I`m just curious about adults,I`ve seen tiles in Leo terrariums and they do look nice,I`ve seen LizardLandscapes on youtube,doing tutorials for those sort of things,but I cant really think of anything to make for a Beardie,for a Gecko,I have some ideas,I would make something similar to cat001`s Gecko terrarium ( http://www.petforums.co.uk/lizards/266837-recently-finished-geckos-enclosure.html ) It looks really nice,but I dont really know how will you get your gecko out,if he`s inside and you want to handle him.Thank you very much for the cricket keeping info :thumbup: Can you tell me what type of veggies do I feed the Beardies with?Also,can I just feed the Beardie mealworms with the veggies,or do I have to feed him multiple types of life food(mealworms,waxworms,crickets,locusts)?I also heard that crickets and locusts can hurt the animal,is that true or?Thank you in advance. :)

G

·
crickets and locusts will bite yes so any uneaten ones should really be removed and offered next time etc.
as for veg;
apple, cucumber , shaved carrot , sweetcorn , romaine lettuce (never iceberg) , tomato , asparagus , fresh peas , pineapple etc and many , many more!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright,thank you very much,I got pretty much all the info I need on the animal,I have a ton of schoolwork for this week,so I will start making a power-point for my mom this weekend,I hope that she will say yes to a Beardie,if she says no,I will give the gecko a try. :)

-J

G

·
your going to need at least 3ft minimum for two leopard gecko's:) and have a spare one backed up in case of dominance , fighting , illnesses etc:) 2ft x 1ft x 1ft for one :) add 1ft for additional gecko's :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright,is it big enough for me to keep just one in it for its entire life?I know that it has more floorspace than a 10 gallon.(324 square inch vs the 220 square inch 10 gallon tank)

G

·
Alright,is it big enough for me to keep just one in it for its entire life?I know that it has more floorspace than a 10 gallon.(324 square inch vs the 220 square inch 10 gallon tank)
the absolute minimum for a leopard gecko is 24''x 12''x12'' add an additional 12'' for another if you want a pair:)

18inchx18inchx18inch isn't even big enough for 2 green anoles:( it is the minimum size for ONE crested gecko:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you very much. :) One last thing,that will decide between do I want a Leo or a Beardie is this:Can you please tell me,how much does it cost to buy a 40 gal tank,set it up (decor,substrate,UVB,everything you need) and get the animal?How much would it cost per month to feed the animal,clean the terrarium and those kind of stuff (calcium,food,veggies,substrate ect.) I`m guessing like 300$ to buy the tank,set it up and get the animal?I`ve seen some threads about the cost to feed it from 2008,but I guess that the prices have changed...Thank you in advance :)

-J

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nevermind I guess,I just talked to our family friend and he said that he thinks that my mom will 100% say no to a Beardie,but maybe yes to a Leo,I tried to see what she will say,by showing her a picture of a Beardie and asking her what does she think she said "Yuk,disgusting" so I guess that a Leopard Gecko is the way to go science its much smaller and more colorful,cheaper,needs a smaller terrarium and no UVB,witch will be strong arguments for my mom.I have all day today,so I will try to do even more research on the Leopard Gecko,and make a Presentation for my mom as I already have the money.Thank you diablo for all the help!Wish me good luck.

-J

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Umm,two more hopefully last questions,is the Exo Terra 24x18x18 cage big enough for one gecko or still too small?Is chipped aspen (Sani Chips aka Habi chips) or just regular aspen a good bedding?Thank you in advance.

-J

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm,does that mean that I could use aspen as long as I feed the Gecko outside of its cage?I like aspen because it makes the cage look natural and pretty(I want the cage to be a sort of a display cage,I want to make it as natural as possible.)Thank you in advance

-J

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Hmm,does that mean that I could use aspen as long as I feed the Gecko outside of its cage?I like aspen because it makes the cage look natural and pretty(I want the cage to be a sort of a display cage,I want to make it as natural as possible.)Thank you in advance

-J
You would soon get fed up of feeding outside of the tank. Aspen i'm afraid looks anything but natural.

I'd go for a lino flooring, baring in mind you can get an pattern you want so choose something funky and natural looking

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I still haven't quit on getting a reptile, I just can't get snakes and lizards out of my head. I am a total nut for them. I know a lot about corn snakes, ball pythons, boa constrictors, leopard geckos, bearded dragons ect now. I've done a lot of studying about them. A lizard that I previously didn't like has became interesting. I've become highly interested in crested geckos lately. They're active, jump around can climb and look cool. The tank is quite small ( 7 would fit on my desk) and they do not need to eat live food (CGD instead + fruit as a treat sometimes) + they're an aboreal (spelled it wrong) tropical species which I like a lot, I don't mind the misting at all since its just spraying the tank with water a couple of times a day to keep the humidity above 50%. I love that they do not need any heat, my room stays around 72-77 *F which is perfect. I love how you can make the tank look natural, pretty. I shew my mom a picture of one a few days ago and she thinks they're cute. I think that I may have a shot now. I made a presentation about them with why they make great pets, a little bit of basic info about them and the care ( I just put stuff like "Heating" and when I come to it I will tell my mom about the heat ect.). I have all the supplies I need at a local pet store which is also awesome. I have a question, would dried calcium dusted crickets that were gut-fed (dead) be something I could give the gecko as maybe a stable diet or as a treat?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.