Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leonberger doesnt want his food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by harmeetjohal, Jun 25, 2009.

1. harmeetjohal

harmeetjohal PetForums Senior

Hi all,
    I have a nine month old Leonberger pup, and he never seems to eat...
    He seems to not like his died food... l
    oves chicken but not his biscuit, he is currently on wainwright puppy food for large breeds
    He seem to only eat quarter of what he should, and never eats if we not there, seems to eat the ones on the floor but not in his bowl....
    we have tried mixing it with water...worked for the first couple of times but not again...
    What shall I do?
    I have mixed tripe its like crack for dogs... he loves it but he stinks... and I really cant put up with the smell...
    I just want him to eat properly and have a balanced diet....esp as he growing so fast...
    He drinks like a fish tho....
    He will eat from my hand and loves his food as treats but not from bowl....
    Also do they do a Giant breed puppy food with large kibble??

2. rona

rona Guest

Would he think it fun if you scattered it around the garden at feed times?

3. harmeetjohal

two ploblems with that... we live in an apartment and secound he loves... LOVES eating grass....

4. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

the only time a leonberger does anything is for food i thought lol, if hes motivated to go out and about - give him some exercise he should eat just as a need to survive. if it goes for any lenght of time have the vet take a look at him :)

5. harmeetjohal

i always make him work for his food... he has to walk and do tricks before he can even think about foot... but he just eats a handful... he is ment to be on two full cups a meal.... he only eats 1/4 of a cup....
    give him a whole chicken, and thats gone before you can count to 10....

6. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

A friend of mine has one at 10 months and its fine with biscuits, he may just want you to start rearing livestock ;).... tricky to say anything as is just sounds like hes being fussy

Are you making a fuss at mealtimes ? or are you just putting kibble in a bowl and letting him have it,? Id go with the second one and if he likes chicken mix the kibble well with some of it so its all got the scent

7. harmeetjohal

i never make a fuss... he has his 15 mins to eat and then its gone.... have left him to graze before but again no luck! so we stick to the 15min rule....
    he is getting gangly....
    livestock maybe an issue....lol

8. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

stop worrying...it does tend to make them worse.
    My leo at 6 n 3/4rs has never been a good eater but he does eat enough.
    Dont 4get the giants shouldnt be encouraged to grow too fast they are slow maturing/developing and it takes a good 3-4 years b4 u have a fully grown dog! Having them too heavy at this stage puts excess weight on developing joints which in the long term can contribute to arthritis.
    Did ur breeder not recomend a diet?
    Their are many comercial foods out their but mine tend to pref the ones full of colourings (adictive) which i wont feed as its cheap n nasty food with little nutritional value.
    He does however get tripe n wholemeal biks about 3 x a week which he does enjoy, buy frozen n defrost, feed raw n doesnt smell AS bad:eek:
    He also gets a 60% raw diet....mainly chicken which he is doing well on but you need to locate a good meat source and research the diet if u go down the natural route.

9. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

they are a seriously large breed without doubt !

10. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

My lab x is like that, he eats a smidgeon of what the recommended amount is for his weight but he looks good and holds his weight well. He does eat well the day after we have taken him for a hike in the woods or to the beach but other than that we do like you 15minutes and if he doesn't eat it take it up until his next mealtime!

My last german shepherd got very fussy at 9months and my trainer said he was trying it on and not to pander to it, we didn't other than soaking his food for a couple of days but like your boy he then refused to even eat it like that i think he was just waiting to see how we tempted him next time, so we didn't and his appetite just increased as he got past his 'teenage trying it on phase'. He also went through a terrible gangly stage at this age and looked skinny and gaunt but soon filled out into a very handsome stocky boy so try not to worry i am sure he will do fine!

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I don't know were abouts you are situated but here it has been very hot just lately. My dogs are of their food even Freyja who is supposedly having pups in 9 days is hardly eating anything. Even my young whippets who normally eat every scrap of their food in seconds and are begging or more before I have finished feeding everyone are leaving food in their bowls. As you do I take their bowls away if they've not eaten it after 15 minutes then they go hungry until either tea time or the next morning depending which meal they have left.

The only 1who is eating at the moment is William my whitish greyhound as he loves the sun and the heat

12. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

just thought have you tried goats milk? or natural yoghurt? these apparently make the food more paletable ? :D

13. philkewley

philkewley PetForums Newbie

Hi I have a huge mastiff who eats very little, and I've done the tripe mix too and your right the gas is deadly!!
    I made the mistake with another Mastiff - Idris, (14 stone Neapolitan now sadly passed) of hand feeding when he refused to eat, and it became a real issue because then the bugger definately wouldn't eat until I'd mushed it all up in my hand for him to slobber & drool over.
    I eventually weaned him & me off the hideous feeding performance with James Wellbeloved Giant kibble, and now all my dogs eat it, boxer, bull-mastiff, mastiff, old english sheepdog, wolf... all but the yorkshire terrier! he will actually crunch down on the giant kibbles, if he manages to get one out of the other dogs bowls he'll eat it - though most of the time I have to take it away from him, just in case. We go through 2 15k sacks a week, and it is expensive, but it's good.
    Best wishes Phil

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice