Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

* lena horne * is gone...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by leashedForLife, May 10, 2010.

1. leashedForLife

YouTube - Lena Horne - Stormy Weather (1943)
    *lena had a lifetime of near-misses, outright discrimination, rudeness as a daily diet,
    and EVENTUAL - eventual - sweet triumph and recognition.

she did not look dark enuf on camera to please studio-execs, so the suits consulted Max-Factor...
    the makeup wizard agreed to tackle the problem, came back with a dark-makeup newly minted night egyptian... :rolleyes:
    they slathered it all over Ava Gardener, and GAVE * HER the role. :eek6: problem solved...
    Showboat, and the role *lena had desperately wanted, steamed-off + left her on the shore.
    luckily, *ava* was a friend of *lena*, and was forgiven; it was not, after all, HER decision.

this was before *RONNIE* [prez reagan] lifted the BAN on advertising + selling goods related to kids-TV
    YouTube - Sesame Street: Lena Horne and Muppets Sing The Alphabet
    *lena was all too aware of the struggle of black-kids for literacy + schooling.

1981 -
    YouTube - Lena Horne - Stormy Weather/If You Believe

this woman was a voice thru my entire life - i will never forget her class, her incredible delivery, and her gritty stubbornness;
    she wanted a career, and despite Jim-Crow, entering thru tradesmen-doors, non-stop hurdles... by God, she got one.
    farewell, lena - and thank heaven for recordings. i miss U already, lady.

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

She was an amazing woman it's an awful loss

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice