UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Was wondering whether you could advise me please. I have two new kitties that are 9 weeks old and they keep climbing onto tables.:eek6:

I read on one post that its best to use lemon juice or citronella oil on placemats to keep them off counter tops. Would this still work for tables and is it best to use cloth placemats or cork ones??

Any help would be great as OH is starting to complain that they are sleeping on his laptop.:D

Thanks

G

·
When I first got my cat I tried lemon and all the other deterants and she didn't care. I used to hate the idea of her getting up onto tables and work surfaces etc etc but in the end I accepted it. Your cat will get into the most funny places and in time you will find your cat looking down at you from great heights as you puzzle over how he got there.
I am strict about the worktops and telling her 'no' has worked but I always make sure that I disinfect the tables and worktops before I use them because I know that my cat gets up on them when my back is turned!
Your cat will sleep on your laptops because they are warm :p sweet really... I had an apple laptop when I first got my cat and then it broke :(

·
Registered
827 Posts
He he he - cathair on the laptop is def. not good :p

I read a good tip the other day which I really like the sound of.

Referred to as 'act of god' the idea is to create an association of an unpleasant (but not painful or dangerous) result when jumping onto surfaces you don't want them on.

If you're catching them in the act of jumping up a sharp sssss noise works well (had great success with that last night myself to chase a neighbours cat out of the garden :) )

You could also try a pile of empty cans carefully balanced so that they collapse when the cats jump onto the table and hopefully the racket of the falling cans will eventually put them off.

As a last resort you could try a fine mist of water from a spray bottle as soon as they go to climb/jump up.

Apparently the knack is not to let the cats see that you're masterminding these 'happenings' so they will only associate it with the table - but not you (hence the act of god title)

:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some good ideas there Malaguti, thanks. Will have to try them out, like the can ones as they are a bit jumpy with sudden noises.:)

Will also get spray from garden shop.

Will let you know how I get on.

I note you are from where I grew up too :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
I bought a thick table napkin from Sainburys and I put it over the keyboard when I am not here, and I just turf them off the computer whenever I see them there. They soon just find somewhere else to go.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Some good ideas there Malaguti, thanks. Will have to try them out, like the can ones as they are a bit jumpy with sudden noises.:)

Will also get spray from garden shop.

Will let you know how I get on.

I note you are from where I grew up too :D
The best thing about the whole 'act of god' principle I read was that you can comfort your kitties afterwards because the 'nasty table' attacked them :thumbsup:

Re. where you grew up - you mean the lovely south coast?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey when we 1st got Pumpkin i found that if there was anywhere we didnt want him to go then a spray bottle worked really well. Just a quick spray and he ran away from the area. Now all we have to do is pick the bottle up and he knows he's somewhere he's not ment to be. Treacle seems to have learnt from Pumpkin as she tends to follow him, so she doesnt go anywhere there not ment to! lol.
xx

·
Registered
968 Posts
I tried the sprays with my cat milly when she was little and she just didn't care haha

She always goes up on the work tops because she can just from there to ontop of the fridge to ontop of the cubboards and then to sit ontop of the boiler haha. It's like WittyKitty said, they do puzzle you how they get up to places sometimes.
But she knows she is NOT allowed on the fireplace because we have really nice ornamants there, we basically told her 'no' and took her away from the fireplace, that seemed to have worked.

However, I did read in a book that you can place peices of folded up cellotape on surfaces you don't want the cat going and, as said before, the cat starts to associate the table with horrible sticky stuff and doesnt go up there anymore.
Then you can give her cuddles and say what a mean table it was lol :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

Thanks for your replies.

Well, I bought a fresh lemon yesterday. Cut it in quarters and covered the back of some cork placemats with the juice and put a quarter in a saucer. I then put the placemats on the dining table, along with 1 saucer with the lemon on it and 2 on the coffee table.

And lo and behold, no kitties on the dining table, laptop or coffee table this morning:thumbsup: Here's hoping this will work hee hee.

Just gonna have to stock up on some lemons now and hope they don't get a taste for them as my mates Main Coon does:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.