UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has had an experience of this awful disease?

My little Westie girl mollie was diagnosed with this at 5 months old and was operated on immediately and neutered at the same time due to it being hereditary. It is now nearly 6 months on and she still struggles with it she mainly walks quite stiff on the leg but really only noticeable if you know however she still goes through stages where she is refusing to use the leg at all and just hops around on three?

She has got quite a lot of muscle wastage her chicken leg as we call it!!!

Just wondered how long other dogs have taken to recover?

In turn if anyone has just had this diagnosed feel free to ask away any questions about pre and post op that I may help with!!

I have put some poorly pics up of her after she had the op!

Malfollie
xxx

Attachments

G

·
Sorry cant help we have bever experienced the problem..!
But just wanted to say how awful it must have been for you and your dog is very cute :eek:
Hoping for a speedy recovery for him xx

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has had an experience of this awful disease?

My little Westie girl mollie was diagnosed with this at 5 months old and was operated on immediately and neutered at the same time due to it being hereditary. It is now nearly 6 months on and she still struggles with it she mainly walks quite stiff on the leg but really only noticeable if you know however she still goes through stages where she is refusing to use the leg at all and just hops around on three?

She has got quite a lot of muscle wastage her chicken leg as we call it!!!

Just wondered how long other dogs have taken to recover?

In turn if anyone has just had this diagnosed feel free to ask away any questions about pre and post op that I may help with!!

I have put some poorly pics up of her after she had the op!

Malfollie
xxx
my nephew has got this although he is a real human being not a furbaby,
not sure how it works in dogs but in children it isnt hereditary, its when the blood supply becomes insufficiant causing the hip bone to become disformed,

sorry not alot of help just didnt know it was hereditary in dogs yet not in humans :confused:, x

·
Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)
26,063 Posts
my nephew has got this although he is a real human being not a furbaby,
not sure how it works in dogs but in children it isnt hereditary, its when the blood supply becomes insufficiant causing the hip bone to become disformed,

sorry not alot of help just didnt know it was hereditary in dogs yet not in humans :confused:, x
aww poor Molly she looks so sweet, fingers crossed she'll get better soon, & like Kira i dont no anything about it in dogs only humans as my Godson had to have 2 full leg casts on for a year because of perthes disease hes so much better now tho. Good luck with Molly x

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really hope your Westie gets over this soon,I had it as a child actually,I'm fine now but had quite a lot of treatment.Can you get physio on insurance?
By the way it is hereditory in humans ,when my son had hip pain they couldn't get him in quick enough for xrays....turned out he had just strained a muscle!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi, My parents have a rescue westie who had this as a pup. He has a very wasted back end and hops and skips a lot, taking the weight at the front.
Apart from that he is fine. He is only 5 though so i am guessing there may be problems later in life with arthritus etc. Not sure.

Theirs originated from a puppy farm near Reading i believe......

I wish yours well. x

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Everyone for your well wishes really kind.

I am guessing then that this may be a permanent thing with her hopping around every so often, the vet did say she would never be athletic dog but thought she might be a bit better than she is. it is such a shame because Alfie (my other dog) loves to go out on long walks, or runs!!!. Trouble is mollie is now a very weak and feeble little girly lol she can't bear to be seperated from alfie at all she seems to be scared of everything too!
not surprising I guess all she has been through!!

thanks all
Again

malfollie
xxxx

·
Registered
30 Posts
my bichon frise was diagnosed at 6 mths and had it immediatley operated on - before the op she would hop on that leg and be in pain and for a few months after the op but never had any more problems from it for the rest of her life (she lived till 11yrs ) she was an everlasting puppy always energetic ! it just took a couple of months after the op for it to settle down and we def' saw the back of legge perthes !! i hope this is how it is for you too !:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it has been nearly 6 months since the op she seemed to be doing really well but now has gone down hill and not using the leg again. She seems to be a bit stiff on her front legs now probably using them so much more as compensation.
Was thinking about starting her swimming again see if that helps.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
I'm going back a long time ago. My mum used to have a collie x terrier bitch Lucy. She didn't have Lucy until she was 5 months and although still with her breeder she didn't have the best start to live. At 6 months she was diagnosed as having legge perthes disease. The vet said she had to have an operation to remove the ball in the joint removed. She recovered well the vet said the bone would grow back as she was only young and her bones were still growing.

She went on to live a happy life doing everything any other dog would do including obedience. She did in her later life develope arthritis in this leg but she wore a copper collar and went on to be about 15/16 when they lost her due to old age.

As I said this was many years ago and the treatment has probably moved on a lot sinc those days.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Definitely is hereditary in some breeds of dog. Quite a few toy breeds are prone to it for example. Watch her knees - it often goes hand in hand with luxating patellae in family lines.

I'm sorry about your poor pup. She's obviously in very caring hands though :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.