Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Legal tender - heated debate

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Irish Setter Gal, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

Just had a heated exchange with the pizza delivery man who said company policy wouldn't allow him to accept a £50 note so when I scrabbled in purse for other denominations he then refused also to accept a Scottish £5 note ... WTF sprang to mind along with other choice words :mad2:

Got my own back and he went away loaded, and I mean loaded, with £1 & £2 coins to the total of £40+ :arf:

2. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

You have £50 notes :eek:

3. Irish Setter Gal

Not many, in fact just the one, the same one the man rejected ... nobody seems to want it when I try to pay for things, hanging around like a dirty smell it seems

4. DT

DT Banned

We always used to have problems with the currency when we were working in scotland! As they still HAD then the £1 notes even the bank used to look as us with suspision when we went to bank em!

5. Irish Setter Gal

Haven't seen a Scottish £1 note for ages, only recently went on a work trip after not having been there for about 9mths.

6. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

this is what bugs me about England , some places will not accept them at all I was once told they are not legal tender i said oh yes they are .. coming from a person who works in retail i tell you its hard to give customers Scottish £5 /£10 notes back in their change , i wouldn't say we get a lot but we do get a fair few , i rarely use them for change unless i haven't got any English ones in the till
    £50 notes i know a lot of smaller companies do not accept them but they are very much legal tender ... if are given them we have to get someone from management to check them

7. hope

hope Banned

we had a pizza ordered here as we in the sticks and they have been posting leaflet through our door the next time we rang them they said they do not deliver to our area?? i went fooking mad on the phone and gave them what for :rolleyes:

i would now rather make my own ;)

8. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

You want to get a bag of 50p's next time and give him them, he will probably still be counting them in his car as you finish your pizza lolol

9. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Dont have a problem with the scottish notes myself....we get loads if we go shopping in Carlisle...shops round here have no problem taking them.....but...i will always hand the scottish note first if i have one :lol:

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

isnt it because they had so many good fakes around a few years ago and that it was extremely hard to tell them apart from the real ones

11. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

£40 on pizzas?...I take it you're an MP or a vet!...:D

12. davidc

davidc PetForums VIP

Get rid of it in a self service till at the supermarket next time you do your shopping. :D

I've got one, got 3 when we went to Orkney in 2007. Gave my brother and sister who were with me one of them and kept the other. We never got any more. We did get other Scottish notes though, but apparently there are not many £1 notes in circulation.

I don't like to accept them because most places don't take them even if you say they are legal tender. And some shops tell me they are easy to get rid of when I explain why I don't want them, no they are not, I have tried and the vast majority of shops don't accept them.

13. smudgiesmummy

yes thats the reason a lot dont take them ... i was shown a fake one years ago and it was hard to tell the difference

14. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

yeah lots of places wont accept £50 notes, theres too many fakes
    at tesco thier is a special pen to check them, i never paid attention to that part of the training, so when i used it and no ink came up i am hoping that meant it was real :thumbup: im still not positive though haha :eek:

15. smudgiesmummy

if u work with money like i have for 20 years all day every day you do actually get to notice the texture of the notes , but you can at times get the odd ones that are very good fakes ... in one shop even a pen u couldnt tell the diff ... you could only tell the diff by the serial code on them

16. Irish Setter Gal

HUGE order, feeding 5,000, well at times it feels like it :D

17. Irish Setter Gal

Can well imagine how that conversation would go if I, as an English person, refused to accept a Scottish note when in a Scotland .... do you think I'd get out alive :eek:

18. smudgiesmummy

lmao i know .. its mad ... ive had arguments off customers with me trying to give them a scottish note .. i have on occasions nearly said *do u go to scotland and pay with english or scottish notes* ...

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

have had lots of 50s when selling cars

oncehad 1000 worth just went to bank paid them in then drew the money back out again

sorted

i used to run a shop in kent and would take them use to check them have been done with a couple of fakes in my time but have always got shut of them on the markets etc never lost out due to one

20. ebonymagic

ebonymagic PetForums Senior

Last time I had a £50 note, courtesy of mum, I had to get it changed by a lady in sainsbury's, coz the self service till kept spitting it out.

It would seem that there are a lot of counterfeit ones out there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice