Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leftover food...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Spaniel mad, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

PoisonGirls thread on Dave just gave me an idea.

She said she was going to treat dave to some Spaghetti bolognaise tonight.

How many of you give your dogs the leftovers. Ours have roast and chicken and things like that but i never thought of giving them spag bog. We always have loads left and it goes in the bin.

My nan yesterday put the leftovers from our roast into a tub then in the fridge and she said she mixes it with the dogs dinner the next day(as they had already eaten).

Its a good idea i spose because the dogs always get fed before us so what we leave usually goes in the bin.

Anyway...

Do you give your dogs the leftovers and if so what types of food do they have????

2. sammyben

sammyben Guest

If we are having any meat like chicken, beef etc then if there are any leftovers Sammy will get a little mixed in with his dry food.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I only give them things that do not have loads of salt etc in. And I never give them too much, incase it unbalances their diet.

They love the leftover chicken after a roast- neither me or OH eat anything apart from the breast, son will eat any but not much of it so the rest gets split between our 2 cats, 2 dogs and Bullseye next door.

Thy very rarely get leftovers, because I tend to make things that even out to two adult meals and one child one. But it it's pasta or rice I make a little extra for the dogs.

I'd say they get left overs no more than twice a week.

It also means that on 'special' occasions eg xmas when nana want to give them a bit of dinner, they are used to having something other than just their own food allt eh time and don't get upset tums.

I never feed them from the table, always mix in the scraps they get with their dinner.

x

4. Spaniel mad

Mine never eat from the table. I dont allow them to sit and watch and they know when we have a roast they have to wait until its in their bowls to have it.

We never use salt when cooking. I cant stand it.

Mine will pretty much eat anything so its knowing what is safe for them to eat.

A stew for example. We dont have it that much but when we do theres always loads spare and again it just goes in the bin but my nan said she gives what is left to her dogs.

I spose it is a waste really knowing that they dogs would be more then willing to eat it lol

5. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I always give suitable left overs to my lot. Things like spag bol, lasagne, hot pot, cooked dinners, toast crusts. They are also given titbits like crisps, bits of kebab and sausages.

6. Spaniel mad

Crisp

You cant eat a packet of wotsits in this house without having to give some to the big dogs

They havnt had any in a while though because the pups are not having anything like that yet as they had an upset tummy but cant wait til they can all have them.

the rate im going will need a whole packet just for the dogs lol

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I always cook extra rice, pasta,vegs or potato's and add that to their meals but otherwise they rarely get any leftovers because I'm a bugger for putting in too much salt so obviously it's not something I want them to have too much of. (Also I'm a greedy girl and don't leave much!!!!:blushing: ) I don't give titbits etc and certainly they never get anything off my plate but they do like their pasta..they've even been know to eat spagetti before it's been cooked!!! :rolleyes:

8. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

with anywhere between 2 -8 people eating at home at any one time ours often get leftovers as not everybody eats everything. they also get my dads crusts from his toast at breakfast and his sandwich crusts from work. we do take this out of their normal food though to make sure they dont gain weight. i see no problem with it, food is not wasted, the dog gets something other then dog food every day (it must get boring) and dogs scavege and eat all kinds of crap in the wild so i dont see it doing much harm.

9. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

when i used to have wotsits you had to have two packets, one between the dogs, buggies, hamsters, rabbits, chinchillas and what ever other rodents we had at the time and then one for yourself. havnt had any for a while but i fancy some now!!

10. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I don't use any salt in my cooking at all, although I love it on my chips but I don't give chips to the dogs.

The dog I had before leaving home was never ever fed 'dog food' he just wouldn't eat it. Sometimes he'd have better meals than me. Every morning he would get a breakfast of either toast with margerine... sometimes a scraping of jam or cheese spread, sometimes cornflakes with skimmed milk, sometimes a cooked breakfast... if we had one too. His main meals would be pretty much whatever my mum had cooked for us but if it wasn't suitable he'd have a heart, mince or chicken with rice or pasta. Whenever my mum was peeling carrots, he'd sit beside her whining with excitement as if she had a juicy bone on the worktop, he loved raw carrots and apples.

In the 14 years he was with us he never ever needed to visit the vet, he didn't get fleas or worms, had sparkly white teeth and was full of beans like a puppy right upto the end.

11. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

We have never given our dogs human food and aren't going to start with Alfie.

12. Spaniel mad

Our old springer was like that and my nan said back in the days they didnt have dog food. They had an extra plate which they served up for the dog.

When you look on the internet theres soo many foods that they say are harmful to dogs so i kindof want to avoid them

13. harmeetjohal

harmeetjohal PetForums Senior

would you need to be carful if the Spaghetti bolognaise has onions?

14. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Mine have leftover's sometime's depend's what we've had:D

15. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I know that many people do say to be careful with the onions but I have to be honest, there is onions in my spag bol, lasagne and hot pot. The dogs all enjoy and there is never a problem. They don't get the runs or even fart after eating it.

Way too many warnings against dogs eating human food and why ??? It's just because there is so much money to be made by recommending whatever dog food brand. The vet will sell you one kind, there is advice on forums for another kind, breeders and clubs will promote all kinds with apparently different and very good reasons. The real reason is 'affiliates' they get a commission for doing so... end of !

16. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

My dog does not have anything other than her own food.

17. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I only use half an onion in my spag bog, I don't like it. So I doubt there is enough in it to harm the dogs.

I hardly ever give them stuff like crisps because of all the salt. I caught my son giving Dixie tesco salt n vinegar sticks once! Yuk they are soo salty I don't even want to think about it. Lol

x

18. thedoggyparlour

thedoggyparlour PetForums Member

mine dogs have all the left overs i never put them in the bin every thing goes in there bowl

19. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Yep i'd confess to giving mine a titbit or 3...its a rare treat but i dont see why not:D

20. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

my 2 always have left overs they really enjoy it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice