Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

LED lighting for growing easy plants

Discussion in 'Tropical Aquarium Advice' started by Abmafra95, May 8, 2020.

1. Abmafra95

Abmafra95 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have an Aqua One Ecostyle 81 aquarium with built-in LED strip lights. However they aren't very good for growing plants, even easy ones.
    I've looked online but LED strip lights don't seem to have the same connection which connects the strip to the power/mains (sorry im not sure on the proper terminology).
    Does anyone know anything about how i can upgrade my aquarium lighting? :)
    I've attached a photo of the strip lighting within my tank. You'll see the connection im talking about.

thanks!

Attached Files:

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  2. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. For growing plants it really does depend on the type of plants you have. Some people have used Ikea plant growing lights, but I am sceptical when using none aquarium based lights as they are often not made to stop water evaporation from getting in, also connections are not sealed up properly then rust can form. But if you look for lighting on dedicated aquarium stores I am sure you will find some good lighting for your tank. But again it really does depend on the plants as some need a lot of light and some don't need much at all.

Just a question, are you having problems with keeping the plants alive or are you just not seeing the growth that you would expect to see?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice