Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leaving them for the first time ... heeeelp

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Aurelia, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Having Agoraphobia has meant it has not really been an issue staying with the kittens 24/7 and indeed that is what I have done since day one. But with the nice weather and a bit of a photography itch I feel like going out.

Now this doesn't happen all that often, so when it does I really need to do it. But to go out means going out with Chris, as I need his support.

But, now here's the thing. Along with the Agoraphobia I also suffer with other Anxiety problems ... I'm sat here thinking about all the things that could happen if I weren't here :eek:

What if the kits manage to scale the newly heightened enclosure?
    What if they do and then find something I have missed and land themselves in trouble, hurting themselves?
    What if they fall in Rilly's water fountain? :)o see how silly this is getting yet?)

I could add loads more to that. I know it's all irrational, and they will probably be absoloutely fine. But I can't help but remind myself that if the bad stuff is going to happen, it will happen to me!

Heeeeeeeeelp :eek:

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Okay, you need to look at each of these things and come up with an answer to appease you mind, then you will in turn feel less anxious!

Okay, so what if they do manage to scale heightened enclose ? What's the worse that can happen, they fall into the water fountain ? Can you move the water fountain ? Possibly?

I am sure they will be fine and that is coming from one extremely anxious person to another! I moved ours downstairs yesterday and had to leave them for the first time, last night. :( It was fine. :) They are still here, fine, not squashed or anything bad at all. :D

Push yourself out, it's a lovely day! You will feel better when you get out (and even better when you get back)! ;)

3. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Oh it wont be today. It needs forward planning and my scooter needs charging over night. It's not been used for ... :eek: ages, and needs a good charge.

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh okay, so when are you going out ?

All I do I ensure Mum & babies are all in the rrom together with nothing to hurt them even if they do escape, which they trying lots just now, I woke up to baby Chritos staring at me night before last, thankfully TV was on so I did not stand on him, or anything horrible.

I have now moved them to the "safe room". Where I don't think they can hurt themselves but now you have mentioned it they could drown in the water bowl. :eek:

No, they will be fine honestly. :)

5. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw mate xx you will be fine so will the kittens :) Try not to entertain the fear. Think of the great time you will have instead :)

6. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

If it's any consolation, I always worry about mine if I am out for more than a couple of hours. Especially about fire - and then of course if they are in outdoor pens it's theft - or arson. Years ago (before mobile phones), if I was out for the day and needed to call briefly at my parents' house on the way home, I would invairably go home first because I was too worried that my parents might greet me with bad news. Once I was forced to leave my parents looking after a Mum and newborn kittens for a week, I called home every day - in the end mother greeted me with "they're fine, goodbye!" Holidays were out of the question and Open University Summer schools were ruined by worry about the cats. One year I managed to book all 11 into a FAB approved cattery - not cheap - and that was the most relaxed I've been but I still had to call midweek!

Liz

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Not sure when, hopefully this weekend. Maybe just a ride to the garden centre and back. :lol: I'm sooo adventurous!

The room is safe, we went over board making it safe a couple of weeks before they were even born :eek: But I still worry there is something I have forgotten, or that Rilly might decide to pick one of them up for the first time, and sit on the window sill or something!

I know it's safe, but I just keep thinking the way our luck goes usually disaster will strike!

LOL, though I do enjoy my time out when I manage it, unless I go somewhere were there are no people it often turns sour very quickly. But I will enjoy the moments that are good, thanks ;)

Oh god, don't get me started on the fear of someone breaking in and stealing the babies :eek:

I know what you mean about avoiding bad news. I'm terrible for looking out for smoke when we get close to home ... :eek: and if I see a fire engine zooming past in the direction of home I panic. Should have seen me one year when the guy at the bottom of our drive lit a bonfire at the bottom of his garden (which is right next to our house). When we were approaching our house I was hysterical!

8. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I am glad I am not the only one to worry about outside pens. I mean we have a HUGE padlock but if soemone really wanted mine they could smash the window! I need barbed wire and a BIG fence, I couldn't put any cats out today as my sons friend LOST the padlock, I have never had so many cats greet me when I came in from school run. :eek:

I got a new padlock from my neighbour.

Do you think people do steal cats ? A town 1 mile away from where I live was in the top 10 most feared places to live in Scotland but do they steal cats ?

Yes Auriela just go out have fun, babies will be fine, honest! Garden Centres are nice, I like ours, has a cafe and a BIG shop Dobbies..... I haven't been our properly in like..... weeks!

9. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I'm afraid so, yes. Several years ago, when I still let most of my cats out but before I microchipped everything, I had two friendly pedigree girls disappear in broad daylight within a couple of weeks of each other. On another occasion I found one of my older kittens dead some considerable distance up the main road, no chance she would have taken herself up there.

Then there was the time some idiot decided that my garden was a public footpath and apparently also decided that all items in it were public property, and removed TWO litters of five week old kittens who were outside with their mothers, some way up our large garden, in broad daylight and right under my neighbours' nose, on the say so of a local child who said it would be OK for her to take them(!). The kittens were then passed on to someone else who, fortunately, took them to the vets for treatment, and fortunately the vet told me who the person was. It took more than 24 hours to get the kittens back, the police did not want to know, fortunately I managed to get the address because the person was in the phone book, and me and my husband and a friend went round. The "lady" refused to return the kittens, we called the police again, still no response, then as it happened one of her friends came out and started shouting and opushed my husband into the hedge. So then we could phone 999 and claim that he was being assaulted - that worked.

More recently, after I started microchipping, I had two kittens (not at the same time) disappear and then turn up days later on the main A62 (one in a goods van yard, the other I don't know where), again the chances of them getting there on their own were very low. The first one in fact escaped late one summer's evening just before a torrential downpour and despite looking under cat pens in the pouring rain, and then leaving the door open for her all night, she never turned up - until 10 days later. The second disappeared in broad daylight.

Bottom line, if your cats are outside at all, there are advantages in having cats that are not over-friendly towards strangers. And before anyone asks, no, I don't have free-range cats now. I still microchip everything though and always will now, you can't be too careful.

Liz

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

They will be fine!! I don't suffer with any anxiety probs but even I worry about the smallest/most unlikeliest thing happening to the animals; from someone breaking in, a wasp/bee getting in & the cats/dog eating it & getting stung, to a fire .... you can only worry so much before it can become a bit of an obession.
    I was driving home from work the other day & as I was approached our place (on the other side of the road) I noticed one of our upstairs windows was wide open. I pulled over, phoned my OH, screaming at him why he'd been such an idiot & left the window open, how I'd never forgive him if anything happened to the cats if they'd gotten out, close it IMMEDIATELY, etc ..... until he told me that they were shut out of the room as he was painting & wanted to let some fresh air in. The cats were safely curled up on the sofa & he wasn't quite the idiot I so quickly assumed he was :eek: :eek: I had to make a detour to the shops on the way home to buy him a bottle of wine to say sorry.

11. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

12. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Wow! I read there were a litter of Ragdolls sloten and the mother, in this area a few years ago. I keep all my kittens inside, under lock and key, the local children have made comments such as "Ay yooo breed cats in that hut"?, I said no, I breed them in the house and let them out here for a while when I am home. "Ay there worth money"? No!!

I only ever leave mine out if I am doing the school run or in the house, otherwise I bring them in, my neighbour has learning difiiculties so would probably think nothing or someone stealing the boy.

I cannot believe people steal litters, sick, sick people.

13. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

:lol: I have done similar before, back in my 'well' days!

I also had one cat who figured out how to open a locked window. You know the old ones that had those metal catches that you lift, turn and put on a sticky up bit. The clasp was really stiff and one of the top openers ... but she still managed to jump up and get out :eek: Luckily a post-lady saw her do it, and managed to get hold of her, take her home and then bring her back to me when she saw me get home from work.

:eek: :eek: Some people are so cruel though :( There is a thread in the doggy section about someone stealing Lab puppies in a break in :(
    I once had the people over the road try and steal one of mine. They were a bit clueless though and didn't think we would be able to see him sat in their bedroom window :rolleyes:

I would answer questions like that with a no ... you take in cats that are really poorly, contagious to humans and no one else will look after them.

14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

When are you planning on your outing? I hope you enjoy it & take some lovely pics

15. Tje

Tje Banned

hey Aurelia, I'd be more than willing to come kitten-sit for you... it would only cost you a plane, a train and an automobile ticket... lol. And no I am not being selfish, looking for a free holiday...:p

( I want to go to sleep on Chaz's belly! ;) )

I can't offer words of wisdom.... just hope you have a nice day out. The kittens will be fine! and they'll be all over you like a rash when you get back to them!!

16. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Hopefully this weekend! :001_cool:

:lol: Chaz' belly does look like a very inviting pillow I have to say. Though her tubbier sister Itty looks even more inviting :D

Thanks all for your reassurance ;)

17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I hope the weathers nice for you ... you'll have to post any pics you take. :)

18. melly-b21

melly-b21 PetForums Junior

Hope you get to go out. Have lovely time and im sure the kittys will be fine.xxx:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice