Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leaving puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jobeth, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Hi-If I leave my puppy in his crate overnight and when I go out he is fine and doesn't bark or cry-not even on the first night I brought him home. However, he gets really upset if he is out of the crate and I have to leave him in the room (which I only do if I really have to.) If I put him in the crate and he can see me he does the same. He used to nip and I only put him in the kitchen twice for a minute for him to stop. He follows me everywhere and will take his food out of his bowl, eat it sitting next to me before going back for some more. At puppy training when I let him off the lead to play he sits by my side. The trainer got me to walk up and down to encourage him to play and he followed me.

I don't mind if it is affection, but don't want it to happen if it is unhealthy for him. He is 15 weeks. Thanks.

2. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

My puppy was like this, fine overnight or when I went out, but trying to leave the room was a big no no :rolleyes:

He seemed to grow out of it. I'd try to distract him with a chew or Kong and gradually he accepted I leave the room and he's quite happy now.

I'm not sure that's much help, but he did gradually get better. I can shower now :lol:

3. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

What breed is he? Sounds like a little seperation anxiety to me, if i were you i would encourage him to be happy to spend time on his own and to be a little more independent, it is good in a way that he wants to be near you as it will make letting him off lead easier. But it isn't healthy for him to NEED to be near you all the time, you have to help him to be happy to let you go about your daily things without him as a shadow as this could lead to him having real issues if you have to leave him when you are out! i.e... you go to the loo, someone holds him for you and he screams the place down!!! It has been known!! He should be happy to sleep on your feet but if you get up he should be happy to stay where he is rather than need to foolow you, i would just practice these thinga lots with him until he is happy for you to walk away and he just watches you but relaxes again where he is.

Hope i have made sense?!

4. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Thanks. I will put a treat in his Kong when I leave the room as he likes that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice