Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leaving my dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Owner of a mad terrier, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Owner of a mad terrier

Owner of a mad terrier PetForums Junior

I'm really confused.

At the moment I'm trying to work on several issues with my dog.

Well one thing she's always been (I thought) really good at is being left. We left her right from when she was a puppy building up
    From short periods of time to now maximum 5-6hours. We have tried several different areas of the house when we leave her but the only place she wouldn't wee or poo was her crate. So we now leave her in her crate but I filmed her today as my neighbour said she heard her whining loudly the other day. I watched the film and she didn't really settle much at all. She was whining, barking and scratching at her cage. Not for the whole time just every now and then for a minute or so. I give her a stuffed kong everytime I leave her but I didn't know she was so unsettled sometimes?

I don't understand because I've filmed her on other occasions and all she does is eat her kong then sleep....

We have tried leaving her in the lounge not in her crate but whenever we did that she would eat things like my computer mouse and poo or wee everywhere so she obviously wasn't happy when we let her have free run! She never poos or wees in her crate but I thought she always settled down and was quite happy in there as I'm always giving her meals in there and stuffed kongs etc.

Is there any reason why she is doing this?

Any ideas?

It can't be separation anxiety if she only does it occasionally can it?

2. Owner of a mad terrier

Owner of a mad terrier PetForums Junior

Thinking about it now - she is now very reluctant to go in her crate when I go out. As soon as I start getting ready to go out then get her a kong, even if its got like cheese and ham in it she won't go in unless I tempt her by letting her lick it first then she sometimes goes in but otherwise she just runs away when I try to tempt her into her crate. She knows the command "bed" means to go into her crate but won't do it if she knows I'm going out.

I think I'm going to start doing things like getting ready to go out 10times plus a day and do all the usual things i would do like lock the doors, put my shoes etc but I'm not going to go out. So the dog starts to learn that those behaviours don't always mean I'm going out. Also I'll start putting her in her crate BEFORE I do all those behaviours. Don't know if it will stop her whining when I'm out though?

Good ideas?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice