Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leaving kittens for the first time

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by nn89, Aug 18, 2009.

1. nn89

nn89 PetForums Junior

This is my first time i've had kittens (have grown up with cats at the folks house) got two beautiful little kittens yesterday, and they're settling in gradually, still sleeping behind the sofa, have had a few accidents- but know where their food/litter tray is, I'm just really scared about leaving them alone!

I got nervous last night just going to bed and leaving them downstairs! I even got up at 6!! I dont know what i'm scared about, just missing them! I have to go out at 6.30ish tonight, and also got to go to work tomorrow evening aswell, and i have no idea how i'm going to cope!

Any tips, anyone else found it hard to leave their cats at first?

2. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

I am sure they will be fine, as long as they have access to all the essentials. I bet they will have a little explore whilst you are out, I would keep them in one room for now and gradually introduce them to the rest of the house.

We worry about our animals but generally they cope pretty well.

3. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

We just acted as normal and just left when we got ours. Dont make a fuss of them just go

4. StuNo1

StuNo1 PetForums Junior

They will be fine. They will have a ball! I know how you feel. Hated leaving for work with our 2 all alone all day. Found poo on the floor but searched how to litter train and sorted that quickly. Like you these were my first kittens but my parents always had cats and kittens.

You do worry it is only natural. They will hide and sleep in the most obscure places so dont panic if you come home and cant find them straight away! Also when ever ours fell asleep i ALWAYS picked them up and got them to sleep on me or my fiance. I handled them as much as possible and as a result theyb are soooo loving now, they folow us around the flat, even when we go to the loo! They sleep on us and love being stroked and loved.

Enjoy it. Cats rule!

5. kelseye

kelseye Banned

im like that lol but ive just got 4 ferretts kits just like lil kittens how they play ect.... i havent realy been out since i got them just went shopping the otherday and that was like i was doing the super market sweep challenge lol bet people were thinking crazy woman :)

6. nn89

nn89 PetForums Junior

I'd love to be getting cuddles from these two more, but they dont like being picked up and scarper when i approach! they've seen to have ignored the basket i bought them too and like sleeping behind the sofa, hoover and for some reason a chair on my dining table!

7. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

They will be just fine once they have settled in. Some cats/kittens take longer to adjust than others. I had two kittens who were brothers..one was more nervous than the other but both ended up being so loving and loyal. ;) :D

8. StuNo1

StuNo1 PetForums Junior

Lol sound all too familiar. Remember you are a very large and strange person to them. Initially you have to give them their space and let them feel comfortable in you home. Once you think they are comfortable start playing with them. I initially approached them on my hands and knees and held my hand out for them to sniff so they could see i was not a threat. Took them a while to get comfortable around me. Perseveer, they will take a shine to you. I literally handled them all the time so they became comfortable with it.

They almost never use all the toys we bought them, they use chocolate foil though. So you get to eat choc as an excuse to get a toy for the kittens. win win! lol THey also never use the radiator bed or the expensive squashy bed we got them. They use our bed and the sofas!

9. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

I was the same hated leaving our 2 when we first got them, had them 2 months now and i still dont like leaving them hehe!

Scampy gave me a scare the first time I left her to go to work, We used to lock her in the kitchen as were are renovating our house and it was pretty basic in there, only a cooker and sink! came home on my lunch and could not find her! Got so panicked as there was no where for her to disappear to! started calling her name and heard little mews back, then found her in the bottom of the oven. Is one of them old fasioned ones with the pan stotage thing at the bottom. she'd managed to get behind the cooker and through the smallest hole at the back!

Enjoy them while they are little they grow so fast!

10. StuNo1

StuNo1 PetForums Junior

So true, they do grow quikly! It is great seeing their personalities grow as well.

Once i managed to shut sweep in the fridge! He jumped in and i had not even realised. Heard him crying, paniced, called my fiance to help as looked all over the place! All i could hear was a muted meow. TRook me 20 mins to check in the fridge. lmao

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice