Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leaving Dogs Alone Together

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Olly's Mum, May 26, 2010.

1. Olly's Mum

Olly's Mum PetForums Member

Just looking for opinions or experiences of leaving dogs alone together.

Ive recently got a new puppy now 9 weeks old, and although he gets along great with my other dog im still not comfortable leaving them together when were out. He gets very upset when alone, so leaving them together would be good for him.

My other dog is a large very bouncy 10 month weimaraner and the new pup is a ESS.

Am i just being over protective? How long shall i wait?

Thanks

2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I leave 6 dogs alone together from the ages of 8 months to 16 years old BUT I would never leave a young pup like youre's with an older dog. I'd leave them if you can in separate rooms but with a baby gate so they can see each other and pup gets comfort from his mate being around. When Sidney was very young this is what I used to do, just makes life easier and gives peace of mind. I allowed my dogs to mix freely when pup got to a decent enough size to handle himself!! :D

3. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

WHen I first got mine I too left them seperately but with baby gate after the first couple of days.

They were adult dogs but felt it was safer just in case esp as the new dog wouldn't leave my existing dog alone (humping!)

Then they were left for very short periods together but for longer periods they still got seperated just until they got to know eachother and there was no risk of spats or things when we werent there.

When we did leave them all toys went away for a while too till we could trust them to play nicely.

It didn't take too long really and better safe than sorry.

4. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

When we had decided on our pup and she was the last one here, we had her in the living room in a crate (door open) with her mum while the boys were in the kitchen with a baby gate in place so all could see each other. This only lasted for a week and then she and her mother went into the kitchen with the boys, she was 12 weeks old at that time.

Not had any problems at all but then our dogs are a lot smaller.

5. Olly's Mum

Olly's Mum PetForums Member

Thanks for the replies! :)

Looks like its safest to wait a little longer.

I know its for the best but its such a shame as they are already the best of friends and love to wrestle and snuggle all day.

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ive always left mine alone together, our first springer was 18 months when i got my 2nd springer had no problems, my first one died harvey was alone for a few months he was 8yrs when we got molly she was 8 weeks again no problems then we got charlie a cocker in january he was 5yrs and he has always been left with them.

7. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

When we left our youngest dog alone, we actually had him in his puppy pen but we kept him in the kitchen in his puppy pen with our other dog. So they were together but the little one was safe in his pen. We actually took him out of his puppy pen and left them alone together when he was a little older and we could trust both dogs alone together. And he's been fine since :)

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think if they get on well and the puppy is not fragile then they are safe to leave. I had to wait several months to leave Heidi with Adam and Hannah without a crate to seperate them. Mind you Chi pup's are only a couple of pounds in weight and Adam was a b%^$*^d towards her for 2 months at least.:rolleyes:
    I still wouldnt leave them alone with a bigger dog if I had one. But Chi's are the extreme case really!

9. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I leave my Greyhound, Parsons JRT and Chihuahua x JRT all together in the kitchen....quite a mix of dogs!! I also leave whatever dog I am boarding or having for my day care service I run.

They all get along fine, I would never leave my dogs together if I felt they were in danger xx

10. ScottieDog

ScottieDog PetForums Junior

I left my 6 week old pup home alone with our three other dogs no problems of any kind. When you think about it they sleep in the same room at night without any problems take the human (yourself) out of the equation and the dogs will be fine no older dog will hurt a pup intentionally imo.

11. Jowan

Jowan PetForums Member

I left my new pup at just 8 weeks with my old girl who is 8 years and never had any problems or worries, He is a JRT and she is a collie.

12. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i put my 17week old pup in a crate when i go out/to bed. and my 11month old sleeps in her bed in the same room. works well for us!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice