Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Leaving dog home alone for long periods of time..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alisa25, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Hey everyone,

I am currently 'dogsitting' my parents' dog whilst they're on holiday. I work full time and so does my other half. But I come home for lunch every day to let her out - so she probably only gets left without toilet for 4 hours max.

However - next week I am out all 5 working days - away with work and have no way of coming home for lunch! Neither does my other half! He is taking wednesday off - but the rest of the 4 days we are having trouble with. Have a friend coming to let her out at 3 on monday (not ideal as 6 hours without wee wee); and also let her out on tuesday at 10.30ish (also not ideal as 6 hours without wee wees). But thursday and friday she will have to wait from 9 to 5... So thats 8 hours without a toilet break... :( I feel awful but there isn't much I can do, apart from look into dog sitters. :frown2:

So QUESTION is - is 6 to 8 hours too long for her to wait? It is only temporary and only for 4 days. But still... :(

Thanks. :)

2. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

A LOT of people leave their dogs this long 5 days a week all year round, I don't think a few days will be an issue, how old it the dog? Maybe get up earlier and make sure she has a long walk before you go? It's not ideal but as I said it's only a few days and some people do it all the time and longer...

3. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

If you have to leave the dog then expect the dog to have wee'd and possibly poo'd, especially as there is a sudden change to routine.

Have you thought about a dog walker/sitter for those two days or even Kenneling the dog.

4. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Wow ok. She is 11, but doesnt act/look like 11 - very fit and healthy. Will still try and sort something out for her but at the moment it looks unlikely.. :(

5. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

She has never wee'd or poo'd whenever she has been left for long hours before. Well apart from when she was a puppy.. :p I dont think every dog will pee and poo - it will hold - and this is just a matter of how ethical it is to expect the dog to hold for so long..

And she gets really stressed in kennels - so thats out. Dont know of any recommended dog sitters, and dont really want to get a stranger into my house without references/recommendations. :frown2:

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I imagine 8 hours is about the same (probably even less) than the time she holds without toilet breaks overnight, so I wouldn't worry too much. It's a very short term thing - not as if she is being left all day, every week day like a lot of poor dogs are.

If she has a good walk before you leave, is left with something to keep her busy like a stuffed Kong and some other safe toys, and given another good walk with some play/games when you get home, and then spends the evening with you and your OH - then I'm sure she will be absolutely fine :)

7. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Thanks for your reply. I just feel so bad! I know its short term but still.. I thought I'd just check with people on PF. :rolleyes:

8. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

She will be fine ;) A few days will be okay I'm sure, you'll stress and I bet she sleeps the day away :)

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I am retired so am with my dogs during the day - but after a good walk in the morning, my 10 and 11 year olds are then quite happy to snooze the day away - they probably wouldn't even notice or care if I wasn't here all day :rolleyes: - I'm sure your girlie will be the same :)

10. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest. Mine has on the odd occasion been left that sort of length of time and been fine. I don't like doing it because 8 hours without a toilet break is a long time but sometimes it happens. You may or may not find she's had an accident when you get home. None of mine have but they've all had bladders of steel when it comes to rainy days and gone far longer than 8 hours then :p

11. Portie

Portie PetForums Junior

My older dog (10) is absolutely fine with being left for that long and longer and always has been (fine with it I mean, not always left!). The younger dog is a different and he is left 3 hours at a max really but that's only on the odd occasion as I am generally always home now. I think for a few days it would be okay, if you can get someone to let the dog out then brilliant but I wouldn't be overly worried as long as dog has a good walk before you go out then am sure she will be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice